Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Balusters for Cabin Railings
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Jan 2015 18:51

I'm thinking about adding iron or black powder coated aluminum balusters (spindles) to the balcony railings at our cabin.

The photo below shows that the middle and top railings are round, but the floor where the baluster would attach is flat, which presents a dilemma.

I'm thinking the balusters would only be between the floor and the middle rail (not all the way up to the top rail).

The balusters I've seen for sale are usually round on both ends, so that they can go into holes drilled into the rails....

or flat on both ends, so that they can be attached to flat boards.

Anyone ever seen balusters that are round on one end and flat on the other?

Anybody else solved this design dilemma a different way?

Thanks, Rich
balcony.gif
balcony.gif

Malamute
# Posted: 13 Jan 2015 13:22 - Edited by: Malamute

Could you make or buy small round bases for the bottom end?

Something like the full round end on closet hang bar sockets.

Kinda like this, though there may be something thats a closer fit to the end of the pieces you want to use.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10965786531118091592?q=wood+closet+rod+holder &hl=en&gbv=2&oq=&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXy7lmdE2itReZxdY0-7m23wSnyBKRVCjLODdYyT6QyrVu9YJpO uV_jwdxmNYsXDT-qK4NPHRYgkQCh746rY5q6nGW9BPDSMdzKiqS-YrekXVhWSLCBIZAFPVH71i_qcZazLQpgK MwE-t5Do9egGWJw&sa=X&ei=uWK1VI7VMdH8oATn5oKwBQ&ved=0CFYQ8wIwDg

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 07:42

Thanks... I'll keep looking for something like that. Been to Lowes and Home Depot with no luck...

I think I'll keep having to search specialty hardware online.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don_P
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 08:37

local welding shop... or, everyone needs a little wire feed welder

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 09:45

+1 On Don_P suggestion. You may find that a local metal shop / fabricator will be more cost effective. Alternately, get a little Mig Welder and learn to use it... You will be surprised at how handy you'll find having a Mig around when you have projects... and the new projects that it will let you get into.

Malamute
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 11:04

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
Thanks... I'll keep looking for something like that. Been to Lowes and Home Depot with no luck...

I think I'll keep having to search specialty hardware online.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Both Lowes and Home depot should have those, if they look like theyd work. I've bought many for houses for closet hang bars.

Even if you were only able to use the full round half, it may be cost effective, and you can use the U shaped ones for closet hang bars and curtain rod holders. They may make great Christmas gifts also.

I found other sites when looking that had a variety of types, some metal, some wood.

jaransont3
# Posted: 14 Jan 2015 12:43 - Edited by: jaransont3

If you go with the round on both ends, you can simply add a 1x2 or so between the posts at the floor that has the holes drilled to accept the balusters. Problem solved. Quick, Easy, and Cheap.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.