Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / beam/joists question
hi everybody
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 15:12

I'll be building a 16x24 cabin this summer and while in these planning stages there is something I don't quite understand...

So this structure will be built on 12 concrete piers and the Simpson Cb66 brackets on top of those. I want to then lay the beams on top of each row of piers (no additional vertical posts). Now here's where I'm confused. Can I hang the floor joists between these beams or do I need to build a box on top of the beams and hang the joists from there? If that's the case, what is the correct way to attach said box + joists to the beam?

Thank you in advance, it is much appreciated.

Don_P
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 16:54

You can hang the floor joists inside the girders. The advantage of doing it this way is that the girder is then laterally stabilized by the joists. When you build the floor system on top of the girders there should be some form of bracing to keep the girder upright.

The CB66 bracket has no moment capacity. There should be bracing between piers or between pier and floor.

hi everybody
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 17:29

how do you brace between piers?

Don_P
# Posted: 1 Feb 2015 20:26

that is the reason behind a continuous perimeter foundation, the foundation walls provide the bracing for the braced walls above. the minimum prescriptive bracing for a pier on a perimeter wall is a 4" curtain wall that is tied to the pier.

If it is a sonotube type form you could have anchor bolts hanging out of the side of the pier high and low, bolt a piece of 2x treated lumber alongside the pier, frame up a wall section with top and bottom plates, studs and sheath in treated plywood to create brace walls between the piers as well as skirting.

You can also stick 1/2"x2" flat steel stock through the pier form and attach steel or wood X braces to the protruding tabs of steel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.