Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / foundation question
e543ln
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 16:56

I live on mississippi river bluffs. Wanting to build a cabin but i am confused or ignorant "what ever" about the foundation, about a foot down i run into lime stone most lime stones are cracked pieces some huge some small. This particular area is at least 12 feet deep with this stone. Can i use this for foundation or not. Is anyone familiar with what i'm talking about? I am building next to a shear drop off and i can see at least 12 feet of stone but they are broken. It looks like nature hand laid these stones.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 20:03

Sounds like good footing to me. Do you think any of it can shift? If you were in frost country and the site was wet, then there might be a concern.

Owen

Don_P
# Posted: 11 Feb 2015 22:32

Building on the edge of a sheer dropoff really puts it in the engineer's playground.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Feb 2015 10:19

Yes, be careful. Does the rock slope towards or away for the drop?
I built next to a sixty foot cliff drop once, but it was on granite and it sloped away from the drop off. That was twenty years ago. Granite bedrock is great.

Owen

leonk
# Posted: 12 Feb 2015 18:49

I'd have to at least see a photo to comment.
For an engineer to help you'd need to clearly identify the soil type.
Look around, are there any other structures on the same soil?
Does it deteriorate? Can is slide, collapse?

e543ln
# Posted: 13 Feb 2015 12:22

Thank you all for the response, the cabin would be on flat ground. The cliff hasen't shifted its been there for years and I don't think it will. It is on level area about 60 feet down the bluff, the bluff is about 100" high. The question of moisture getting into it is probably a good question. Being at the very bottom of a very steep bluff. I actually don't live here yet but planning on it soon or I would send pictures. The area I'm considering is probably 30 to 40 feet wide with areas behind it narrowing until it's again a slooped area.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.