Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Nailing Tongue & Groove
grover
# Posted: 18 Feb 2015 14:48

Think we are going to use either T&G or shiplap on the inside of the cabin. I had someone tell me to just use a 16 ga nailer and face nail the boards. I'm afraid that wouldn't look good with no filler and I don't want to fill 10 million (just an estimate) nail head holes with wood filler. Are you supposed to nail through the tongue so they don't show?

FishHog
# Posted: 18 Feb 2015 14:58

that would look nicer. I hand nailed 8000 nails. Well, Mrs Fishie helped a lot. We used white nails, face nailed them then white washed the boards. Looks good and holds up better than just nailing in the tongue, but won't look as nice as your plan.

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Feb 2015 15:09

Nail through the tongue. A finish nailer with 15 or 16 gauge nails is perfect. Part of the idea of using T&G boards is that the nails can be hidden. The very first and last boards may need to have some face nailing, but those can often be hidden by trim.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 18 Feb 2015 15:34

If it's wrapped the cardboard will show how to angle nail through the tongue. This should be done with enough angle to not protrude out on the inside of the tongue.

Thelar
# Posted: 19 Feb 2015 14:00

If you face nail the T&G and there is any kind of moisture in your cabin over time as the nails oxidze it could cause some discoloration on the board around the nail head. I would nail trough the tongue.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.