Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Concrete footings for an addition
SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 10:26

This is for my house, not my cabin but there are some smart folks here who I suspect can help me out.

I was planning on doing a 2 bedroom addition last year but my contractor fell through, given the lack of (reasonably affordable) quality contractors in my area I am proceeding on my own. I have done everything except concrete work before.

I spent a few hours looking for spec's for concrete footings and they seem widely variable and all more than what I have seen around my area. I am planning a 14'x26' addition on the back of my house with a full basement and 1 storey on top. The basement walls will be pressure treated 2x8. I am trying to find the appropriate dimensions for my concrete footings. The soil here is well compacted fine sand that is well drained and quite stable. I live in Northern Canada. (60th parallel).

Any suggestions on footing size (or directions to resources) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 14:16

Well without engineering done. I'd say a safe play would be 2' wide x 1' deep and four 1/2'' rebar on undisturbed soil.

Don_P
# Posted: 21 Feb 2015 17:52

Here is the US table, Table R403.1
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_4_sec003.htm

Sand is good for 2,000psf (from the very beginning of that chapter)

Remember those are minimums, typical for what I'm understanding would be 16" wide x 8" thick, but, there is nothing wrong with Owen's suggestion... it is a difficult place to get back to later.

The pocket protector first pass back of the napkin approach is to determine total design load for the addition, divide that by the area of the footing bottom face and keep the result below 2,000 lbs per square foot

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.