Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / grey water question
rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 18:56

hi everyone, I am new to the form and thinking about this spring's build. I want to start with a combo shed /wash house and was wondering what you do with the grey water.let it run on the ground,french drain,dig a pit or drain field. I am not ready for a septic system yet.

rwoods

creeky
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:28

i run mine through a straw bale into a pile of bushes. It's a ways from anything but hay field.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:31

What does you county have to say about the matter?

rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:34

I think that I would like to be under the county radar on this

rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:38

What are people doing with their outside showers

Littlecooner
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:45

Where is your water supply? How much water will be gray, as will this just be a shower facility and possible hand washing with caught rain water, do you have a spring, have a well. etc.

bobrok
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:46

At my camp we are required by regulation to surface discharge grey water. I ran pvc pipe away from the building in a shallow trench and recovered with sod. This keeps people from tripping over the pipe and helps when mowing as well.
Just at the end of my pipe run (about 25') I brought the pvc back up to the surface to comply. I dug a 12" deep hole at the point of discharge, filled it with small rocks then covered this with a couple of rather large, heavy flat stones to keep animals away.
Works well for me.

rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 19:52

I plan on driving a sand point and using a picture pump, the use would be just for washing and maybe a shower on the weekends. The well will have to be located a save distance from the wash house. I plan on using a composting or chem. toilet

rwoods
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 20:33

Here is another question, can you buy a test for your well water

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 15 Mar 2015 23:17

Quoting: rwoods
I think that I would like to be under the county radar on this

very smart move...I completely understand!!!!

I run my grey water to a fallen down tree top...never had a proper ( piped in 2" PVC)

my outdoor shower ...falls under the deck that was built...never had any problem or smells etc.....hardly used since the inside shower was installed.

you can get a test from home depot or lowes...I saw a water test kit in one of those stores.....stay away from building and zoning with all these questions....unless you want TROUBLE

bobrok
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 08:43

Quoting: turkeyhunter
you can get a test from home depot

This is the store with the free test kit. They do a good job but, of course, they test only for particulates. I've used it and have been pleased.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 08:55

I built my system using the guidelines that can be found here. http://www.kflapublichealth.ca/Files/Resources/Class_2_Systems___Greywater_Leaching_P its.pdf

Seems like a common sense approach that protects the enviroment while not requiring an unjustifiable expense in a system more designed for permanently occupied buildings and all that entails.

rwoods
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 19:43

Lots of good info guys thanks

Littlecooner
# Posted: 17 Mar 2015 09:58 - Edited by: Littlecooner

24 feet of this stuff will handle all the grey water you can put into the system. No gravel required, just trench and lay in trench and cover. IMHO this is the best product on the market for leachate line and is very simple to install.

http://www.septicsolutions.net/store/Infiltrator.htm

Most local supplies have this stuff in stock, so for around $ 200 you will never have a problem. If and when you do put in a septic tank, make sure your installer uses this in the absorption field. It last forever with not problems. This is assuming you can access your site with a back hoe for digging. If you have to install by hand with a pick and shovel for a truly off grid application, at least 2 or 3 sections dug by hand may handle everything you will ever put into the system. The dome area is all "air" and is storage for the effluent so if you just do an shower or two on the weekend and minor washing in the sink, it would not take much of this product to return your gray water back to mother earth. Installing this would be about as simple as doing a pit with gravel, etc. modern technology that works in today world.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.