Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 12x10 cabin
nsredneck
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 19:39

wondering opinions on what I should build on for a foundation? leaning towards pressure treated skids but would like more opinions, input and info.

Thanks a lot

nik870
# Posted: 16 Mar 2015 21:54

I put up a 10x12 in ND in 2013. I put it on gangnailed 2x10 and set it on the ground. So far so good.

Steve_S
# Posted: 17 Mar 2015 09:54

@nsredneck, really depends on the soil / land you are putting it on. I'm building a 16x20 on 6x6 PT skids which are positioned on 18"x18"x6" "cottage blocks". Each skid sits on 4 of these blocks. This keeps the PT Skids from direct contact with the packed gravel underneath and if shimming etc is needed later, it simplifies it.

When we did the excavation work for driveway, parking pad, sea-can pad and cabin pad, we went down a couple of feet deep and back filled with gravel pit run and then with road packing gravel, which was packed down with the big Caterpillar Excavator. No problems with drainage or anything.

You just need to make sure you have very good drainage underneath so it stays as dry as possible. Definitely insulate the floor joists if you intend to use the cabin in cooler weather, which Nova Scotia has plenty of. Don't use batts in the floor, lest you have every local critter wanting to make their home in it.

creeky
# Posted: 17 Mar 2015 10:52

I used these for a 10x14. Easy to put in with two guys or a tractor. Note I used them in soft soil sand/clay. No rocks.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/adjustable-pylex-50-in-foundation-screw/997467

I like that they allow for adjustment in the event of sinking or frost heave.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.