Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Flooring for cabin on blocks?
KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 15:31 - Edited by: KinAlberta

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a durable laminate or other flooring for a cabin / cottage that sits on a concrete block foundation with a bit of a tendency to move a bit over time. (It's open air under the cabin with outdoor temperatures spanning -40 to -50 degrees F each winter to + 90 each summer.) The flooring needs to be able to handle a bit of deflection over time, and then a periodic re-levelling of the floor as well as temperature and humidity changes. There's never been any sign of frost heave.

Currently the floor is done with linoleum tile and that has held up extremely well for over 60 years except where water from dog dishes etc was left to damage/release the tiles and where we let the cabin get a bit too far out of level for half it's length and a separation between the tile showed up and then some tiles loosened. The Lino has actually been an amazing performer but the look is very dated.

I'd like to find an easy to install floating floor with strong yet flexible joints, that could also withstand water spills and snow melt off boots. My thinking is that standard sawdust based wood laminate would likely swell if water were left on it. Vinyl plank might be a good choice. Cork might be perfect but it seems today's cork is glued to that sawdust stuff. Small ceramic tile might flex at grout lines but it would add a lot of weight and while easy to install, it would be a lot of work. Plus might need a separation underlay. There is a nice looking ceramic floating wood pattern plank where you add some plastic joints at Lowes but I don't know how it would perform. Your opinions?

I've used Allure Ultra vinyl laminate with those snap joints in my basement but don't think it would handle floor deflection in a cabin well. The main room is 13'x30' and I'd be afraid of the tiny, thin joints popping or cracking with a bit of deflection over time. The glue together version might work well.

I'm also noting that the flooring that have commercial warranties (eg. vinyl planks) might be the ones to look at.

All opinions would be welcome.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Apr 2015 21:49

I'd get laminated wood flooring. Floats on a thin foam pad. So movement isn't an issue. Caution on removing those 60 yr old tiles, I bet they contain asbestos.

FishHog
# Posted: 4 Apr 2015 10:27

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I'd get laminated wood flooring. Floats on a thin foam pad. So movement isn't an issue. Caution on removing those 60 yr old tiles, I bet they contain asbestos.

very good chance. Not sure what year, but they switched to 12"x12" tiles when they took asbestos out. 9x9's will most likely have it. Only an issue if you make it into airborne dust, so wetting it down and not breaking it up is the way to go. I'd still wear a respirator and a very good cleaning after again, wetting everything down.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 27 Apr 2015 00:32

Fortunately no need to remove the tiles. Just a bit of patch needed where a loose tile broke off.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 27 Apr 2015 10:28

You can purchase loose lay vinyl plank flooring. If something goes wrong with a plank (or multiple ones), you can pick them up, clean them off, or swap them out, etc... The joints are incredibly tight provided you take the time to lay it properly and get your first row started square. I am in Alberta too and it's pretty easy to find around the Calgary area...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.