Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / acceptable cantilever distance for floor joists?
CabinRookie
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 14:31

Hi,

I am gearing up to build a 16' x 24' cabin. I have a question about my design for the subfloor. I plan on using 2 x 8 x 16 joists. Each joist will have a 10' span between underlying beams and then hang / cantilever 3' both sides.

I'm having trouble determining acceptable cantilever distances. I'm assuming that it depends on the weight of the wall/roof/load etc... but I'm hoping that I'm well within the acceptable distance. The cabin will be a 1 1/2 story.

Are these 3' cantilevers going to be oK?

Thanks

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 16:19

That sounds like a bit too much. In my limited experience a 1'ft cantilever is usually not a problem. Most of your wall load is going to be hanging out at the end of the 3ft cantilever. Doesn't sound secure.

Check out some of the online span calculators.

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 18 Aug 2010 23:35

In my opinion that is too much for a sub floor, if it were a deck or something that had no load bearing wall on the outer edge you could prob get away with it, If it were me I would add a beam in the middle as well as both outer edges. My Cabin is a work in progress and my foundation has three beams with my subfloor only cantilevering 6" on either side

Jerry
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 10:51

I agree with the others, it's too much. I just built a deck on my cabin and the cantilever is three feet, BUT that's a deck. Your cabin will have a lot of weight bearing on the ends of the floor joists and you need support there. My cabin is 16' wide like yours. I used full sixteen foot floor joists, but there are three beams under them; one down the middle and one on each end.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 19 Aug 2010 15:46

Where I am, the building code limit for a cantilever supporting a load bearing wall is the depth of the joist, so only 8" in your case.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.