Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation question
Oldgoat
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 09:58

Hello, I purchased a property that had a mobile home site already on it. I want to build a cabin on the that site. There are several poured concrete posts/pillars that are level with the ground. I would like to use deck blocks on the posts/pillars and place 4x6 or 6x6 beams on the deck blocks as my foundation, I will also add sono tubes to the existing pillars. The mobile home anchors are still there to help tie the cabin down. The sewer line is there and water line also. The electrical lines are underground and will come through the bottom of the floor up to the breaker box. Do you folks think my idea is sound? Thanks for your help.

Don_P
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 10:53

Piers have unknown horizontal strength, resistance to wind or seismic loads. Generally it is safer to assume they have no lateral strength. Part of why trailers go rolling across the plains in wind.

The size of the beams (girders are beams that carry other beams, these beams carry the floor joists, which are beams, so these are girders) depends on the load and the span between supports. There are girder tables in chapter 5 of the codebook. They will be larger than 4x6 or 6x6.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.