Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / family small cabin
jcaudill0034
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 18:47

looking for ideas of a small footprint cabin but have 3 small girls and the all need their own rooms. thinking a small 2 story cabin. post and beam foundation is what im leaning towards as im in rural ky.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 21:09

That's a lot of rooms for a small footprint cabin, since you and the wife will need a bedroom too. Perhaps a 500 square foot with tall roof, two bedrooms upstairs, one small bed downstairs next to the larger master bed. Draw a floor plan, scan it and post it.

jcaudill0034
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 22:01

Yea I know that's a lot of rooms for small footprint. That's why I was needing help. I live where there are no building codes and the rooms don't have to be huge . We like to be outside as much as possible

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 22:33

There are a lot of simple computer cad programs available as you probably know. It really helps to make dimensioned drawings. Forces you to think and figure. Good luck

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 14 Jun 2015 23:05

3 children each with their own rooms?
That does not seem like a small cabin to me.
But if i was looking for say a 2 bedroom cabin with the girls
sharing one room.I would go with a 16x24 with a full 2 stories.
2 bedrooms could easily be made upstairs.
But if you are talking about 3 bedrooms for the kids and a bedroom for you and your wife.It would be bigger than my main house

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 01:55

littlehouseontheprarie-i thought the very same.
to have a cabin to me -part of the fun would be to bunk in with all my siblings...making it smaller and cheaper to build .
just a thought.

jcaudill0034
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 06:09

It's going to be full full time home and one daughter is special needs. Thinking two rooms in a loft a main 20x20 room/kitchen and a bump out bathroom on the side and two bedrooms on the back added

Steve_S
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 07:17

Welcome to the Small Cabins Forum.

3 Little girls become 3 Big Girls VERY Quickly and the needs & demands that go with that, need some advance planning... says this father of 3 daughters

For sanity purposes you should be considering something in the area of 750-1000 square feet if your planning to be there full time.

Here's a couple of links for different designers. I have bought a CDNW Plan we were considering and the plans are good BUT these are intended for builders and not home owner DYI with all instructions. cabinplans123 by Cad Northwest We adapted parts of the plan we bought for our own design.

Barns Barns & Barns These are mostly Pole Barn types of structures with large open spaces that can be converted to homes. Take a look at the Woodbury & Candlewood for example.

Check out the links to "sister sites" and poke around. Have a look at some of the layouts and ideas and think about your minimum space requirements and consider the future needs.

Grab the free plans to see the types of details & info given.
Get a tape measure and try to mark out space based on those plans... measure rooms you have now and consider if they are big / small enough and what you could "tolerate" and what you would be comfortable with.

4 Bedrooms, 1 washroom (min), Laundry space, Kitchen/dining, Family/Living room, pantry, storage... what else will you need ?

Identify your minimum "needs", your "wants" and your "would like to haves"... that will help guide you as to things your looking for.

Do you have a property to do this yet ?
Is there Septic in place ?
. IF yes, new or old ?
. Still in use or not ?
Is there water (Well or ?) + same questions as Septic
Do you know how deep neighbour wells are ?
. (if no well, gives a "rough" idea of how deep you may need to go)
Is there power ? Self generation or grid power ?
Do you want to use a Grey Water system and Compost Toilets ? is that an option ?

The more things you can answer for yourself while nailing down your minimum requirements the better your search will go and the more info we have as outsiders the more info we can relate back.

Have you factored in costs for everything that is needed and will be needed ? Like septic, well etc ?

Building with rough cut lumber or not ? Can save money BUT takes more time & futsing with.

Do you plan on building yourself, have a contractor do it, or ? That would also affect the kind of plans you want or would use... for example, for Self Build cut lists and more details are better depending on your experience.

Just some stuff to ponder and if you can answer those then we may be better able to help / direct you with ideas and suggestions.

Good Luck & Hope it Helps.

cabingal3
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 09:14

jcaudill0034 -now i understand.smart thinking ...

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 09:36

Yes it makes more sense now.
I wish you well on this.And take a good look at Steve's points in the post above.He has some good questions and tips for you

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 15 Jun 2015 10:07

Yes, Steve offers excellent info and things to consider. A lot depends on how long you all plan to live there as the girls grow! And what sort of special needs your daughter has and your home should accommodate. I would think that with all of those girls you'd need TWO bathrooms, at least. One on each floor!

Best wishes, and welcome!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.