Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Help with handicap bath/laundry combo
Tarmetto
# Posted: 17 Jun 2015 19:03

I've studied great info found on the NCSU design website for handicap bathrooms, but for the life of me I can't work in the laundry (W/D) into the same room.
I think I'm suffering from info overload...it's there...I just can't grasp it!
Our "bathhouse" has an 11'-6" x 8' (ID) room designated for this use. We're trying to make it as handicap accessible as possible.
There needs to be a 36" out-swing exterior door on the 8' wall....and a 36" pocket door on the interior 11'-6" wall (these can be in the same corner).
Laundry needs to be side by side W/D.
No "tub" required...shower only is fine.
We'd really like to make this happen so that our friends (who have a family member in a wheelchair) can use our place.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Jun 2015 12:41 - Edited by: hattie

I don't have any suggestions for layout but I do have a couple for a handicapped bathroom. For your pocket door, make sure it doesn't go all the way into the wall - put in a stop so that it will stick out slightly and be easy to grab.
You will need a wall mounted sink so a wheelchair can get under it.
Put grab bars in the shower and beside the toilet. Make sure these grab bars are screwed solidly into the studs.
Install a raised toilet and ensure it is strongly mounted so as not to wobble. I believe most handicapped toilets must have the tank lid bolted on for safety.
Make sure the acccess to the bathhouse is smooth (no raised door sills) and put an extra handle lower on the door to the outside so that someone in a wheelchair can just grab the handle to close the door. Make sure the main handle on the door is a lever type as opposed to a round ball handle. Levers are easier to manipulate.
Make sure light switches, etc. are all at a lower height for someone in a wheelchair to reach.
If you are doing a shower only, perhaps one that is wheel in, wheel out would be best without any lips along the base which would be a problem for a wheelchair. Make sure the hand held shower head is adjustable in height so someone in a wheelchair can reach it.
Ensure towel bars are really well anchored to the wall and put soap dishes, etc. lower for easy access from a wheelchair.
I hope this helps.
We run a motel and one of our rooms is wheelchair friendly for a fellow who likes to come up here. He helped us design the room and bathroom specifically for him and these are some of the things he told us he needed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.