Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cement slab cost
littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 14:57

I have only had one guy actually show up to give me an estimate on pouring a cement slab foundation for my cabin build.
I was quoted $13.00 a square foot.
Is this high? Low? Decent?

I have called numerous places to get estimates but only one has even bothered to return a call.I don't want to jump at the first bid if it is way out of line.
Any assistance would be appreciated

cspot
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 17:20 - Edited by: cspot

How thick of concrete and how big of an area? Any reinforcement or plain?

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 17:27

6 inch slab
Steel re-bar #3 16" on center
5/8 J anchor bolts 3' on center all sides

16x16 256 sq ft $3328

cspot
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 17:38

Well in materials you would have the following. Not sure of prices in your area, but will use what it is common in PA

Concrete = 5 CY X $110 = $550
Rebar 275 lb X $0.70 = $193
5/8 J Anchor Bolt 24 X ??? $3= $24

If you add in some misc cost your total material is still under $1000. Not sure if they are doing any grading or placing of stone down, but if they are just pouring concrete that seems high to me, but maybe in your area that the going rate.

How smooth do you need the floor? If you have some help it doesn't take much to pour a 16'x16' slab yourself especially if you don't need the finish to be like glass.

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 18:09

The price seems high to me too.I just wanted a second opinion.
Thanks

Don_P
# Posted: 25 Jun 2015 18:18

I'm prepping for pouring a 4" basement slab next week, so we will have it ready for the flatwork crew to just pump and float it. The concrete pump is $500-700, slab is about 1100sf @.75/sf for placing and finishing, concrete is about $120/yd, plastic and tape was about $90 this morning

AK Seabee
# Posted: 26 Jun 2015 00:27

I agree with cspot. A couple of friends and a rented power trowel equals an easy pour and enough left in your pocket to place a footer around the perimeter.

If you already have one planned i missed it. If not, google monolithic slab foundation as you will require more than 6" of concrete for bearing walls.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 11:43

I would place a footer by digging a trench around the perimeter/edge of the slab, this will be your footer. Set rebar in place and call in the truck. The biggest cost will eb the labor, get buddies, BBQ stuff and you will be golden. Call in the truck and then another BBQ. Be surprised how much free labor you can get with good food and drinks. That is after the work is done (drinks)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.