Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Structural Reinforcement/Rehab Advice Needed
MaxWebster
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 21:10

I'd really appreciate some expert advise on reinforcing/correcting structure ,place was built sometime in the 1970s is my guess

I`ve attempted to create a Visio drawing

Dimensions are in Feet & arent 100% accurate (but very close). I got attacked and stung by Yellow Jackets so I had to cut my time under the place short yesterday!

land is sloped N to S, approx 3 feet off the ground at the south, less than 1 ft at the north

A = Joists , 16inch Center. Lumber is single 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
B = 3 pieces of 5 1/2 x 1 1/2 spanning the piers.
C = lumber is bowing, there is a noticeable dip in the floors in these areas. (I can see the bow in the lumber)
D = Kitchen & living room space (which is open) , floor has a major spring to it that I'd like address
F = Bedrooms, Washroom area. I've screwed 3/8 plywood down in all rooms. Floors aren't noticeably springy (i take it that the walls and added plywood has helped here)

I am guessing the spans in all cases arent as required.
I'm on a limited budget. Some of the work I might attempt myself, some I'll be contracting out.
Hoping I can get some advise to be more educated so I know exactly what needs to be done when planning and paying someone. I'm looking at doing this in phases
My amateur take :
- for the center beam (C) add more lumber to entire span.
- 2 additional sets of piers and beams - east / west (through F and D)

The piers are in good condition, None are falling over.
Ground is very sandy
The perimeter piers seem to have sunk on the east & north sides , not a lot. I am assuming an overall leveling of the building is required.

Thanks in advance
Drawing1.jpg
Drawing1.jpg

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Jun 2015 22:47 - Edited by: Don_P

IF I'm understanding everything...
Assuming #2SPF lumber, single story, roof bearing on outer walls and girders only... so those girders cannot be sized without knowing the snow load. I'm assuming A and B are reversed text/sketch
Doubling the 2x6 joists passes in bending strength, the floor barely fails in deflection, sag. Sistering 2x8's would be the best job, this span called for at least 2x8's on 16" centers.

The mid girder should be a triple 2x12.

Your solution of 2 more rows of girders is also worth looking at.

Sketchup works well for this kind of thing.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.