Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / tin roof timpani
creeky
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 11:57

Yesterday my farm was a continuum of rain. And last night in the winter bedroom. oh my. I woke up around 1:30, driven to consciousness by the thunder of rain on the tin roof. I read until 2:30 but I had to spend the night with the pillow over my head. and all that really does is knock out the high range sounds. the bass o profundo still pounds away against the ear drums.

so missing my tent.

but what tricks have folks used to quiet Thor's orchestra overhead?

SteveN
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 13:22

Ear plugs?

littlehouseontheprarie
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 13:43

I have 3 teenagers.I am immune to the noise

I can loan them to you for a week and you would be grateful to just hear the rain on a metal roof

Just
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 13:49

NO tricks for me the sound of rain on a roof will put me asleep faster than anything . Love it ... the only regret about the R50 ceilings in our home, not a sound !!

smallworks
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 14:54

I love it, too. In fact, we're thinking of replacing our ancient roof at home with metal. Another advantage, snow slips right off.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 16:01

I have a tin roof and cant hear a thing. Even a monsoon downpour. My roof had felt underpayment on plywood sheeting. And then an attic space above the cabin with a well insulated ceiling.

I would love to hear the rain on a roof, its puts me right to sleep. I sleep better with white-noise. Rain on a roof acts just like that.

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Jun 2015 16:22

I have 14" of insulation between me and the roof top.Quiet's it down quite a bit.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 08:48

thx littlehouse. I'm pretty sure I can't afford to feed three teenagers for more than about 5 minutes. But boy I'll bet I could find lots of "fun" stuff for them to do.

I suspect the rest of youze can't hear the roof 'cause your deaf as posts. I know the truth. . I do have almost 7" of polyiso insulation and 1" of pine up there.

So I guess what I've learned is polyiso, the miracle recycled cheap insulation, needs a layer of roxul/batt insulation if only for sound attenuation.

My other buildings all use a mix of polyiso and roxul and they are much quieter.

guess i'll have to take the tin off and add a 2" layer of roxul board. lol.

anybody else got an out of box idea?

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 09:09

And I thought rainwater was supposed to be soft water....

I'm like the others....I love the sound of the falling rain.

fickle_serendipity
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 15:06

A quick memo to the conductor asking politely for no more FORTE should do the trick!

Don_P
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 21:48 - Edited by: Don_P

We've been hoping for a little piano the past several storms.

With they way it's been going we could get one

Rain on metal can be deafening, I've wondered about undercoating the backside before.

bobrok
# Posted: 30 Jun 2015 21:52

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
I'm like the others....I love the sound of the falling rain.

+1
One of the reasons I love being at camp during bad weather!
*Love* my metal roof!!!!!

creeky
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:25

thx fickle_. I tried your idea but it must have been squashed flat as it is a mighty FORTE morning.

The raindrops are the size of dinner plates and are falling at the approximate speed of a runaway cartoon train.

I feel for the birds 'cause I know the bobolinks are right about fledge and those poor little kids must be getting soaked.

Happy Canada Day youze all.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 1 Jul 2015 09:44

Stop the metal from resonating and you quiet the noise to a level that can be forgotten. Think of it like a drum. If you put your hand firmly on the drum head and strike it the sound is muted. The same is true for metal or a steel drum. You need to stop the metal from reverberating - which will lower the volume and the frequency. Insulation that is not pressing up against it won't do much. Try spray foam (same method used to make stainless steel sinks quiet).

Good luck! Our metal roof is no louder than shingles.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.