Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / radiant floor
caveman
# Posted: 10 Sep 2010 12:10

just found this site, have started a 16 x 16 on slab cabin and installed tubing for radiant floor heat, mostly for use while unoccupied to keep inside temps above freezing. does anyone have experience with this?
radiant heat tubing
radiant heat tubing

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Sep 2010 00:43

I live in northern Minnesota and am an electrician. Radiant infloor heat is the only way to go. You can always change the heat source I.E. Electric/Propane. whatevers cheaper

Flyfish
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 15:52

I'm thinking of building my cabin on slab with 7/8" dia radiant heat tubing. Will this keep a cabin comfortable in 0 degree temperatures?

Flyfish
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 16:03

I've added some web sites if anyone is interested in radiant heat in slabs...

http://www.radiantcompany.com/details/grade.shtml

Here's a installation video....

http://www.radiantcompany.com/details/gradevideo.shtml

I know what your thinking...no i don't have any association with this company but i thought the company's radiant heat information was very complete, especially the video for installation.

Martian
# Posted: 15 Mar 2012 17:05

When I lived in Downeast Maine, we built several houses that used slab radiant heating. It takes awhile (hours) for the slab to warm up, but once it gets to temp, its really nice. The only downside was, during power outages, there was no heat.

Tom

Flyfish
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 07:14

Thanks for the advice, I really didn't know how well it worked in extreme cold temperatures but if works well in Maine i'm sure it will be fine in upstate NY.
Whenever i build i will use slab radiant heat and woodstove as a secondary source.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 07:36

If I was putting in radiant heating, I'd tee off the incoming line, put in a valve, and plumb in a baseboard radiator to more quickly warm the cabin air for those times when you want a little extra heat or need to warm the cabin upon arrival since I presume you'll turn down the thermostat when away for extended periods.

Tom

jgiffi
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 09:37

Wouldn't it be expensive to heat with a radiant floor like that?

sparky1
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 10:09

You could also Make -or-buy a HW solar panel with Pv panel driving a 12 volt solar water pump what ever you picked up would be free heat.
sparky1 in s, va.

Martian
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 13:20

Quoting: jgiffi
Wouldn't it be expensive to heat with a radiant floor like that?

I never lived with one, but the idea is you insulate the foundation and it acts as a heat sink. The solution in the tubes is heated via a heat exchanger in the water heater or designated boiler. My understanding is it is cheaper/more efficient than heating air as the water in the boiler acts as a heat sink, too.

The solar heater would definitely be on my list of things to do, but a bypass would be needed for those cloudy days when the solar heater is actually colder than the solution. No sense in losing extra heat.

Tom

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 20:50

Under the concrete insulation is of paramount importance. Here in NM the recommended R-value for under a radiant slab starts at R-20. More is always better, at least if you think energy costs will continue to rise over time, as I do.

Radiant is great for maintaining a comfortable temperature in an occupied building. We have friends who bought a used home in the mtns near us. Big thing with radiant floor heat. It is not occupied full time. They drop the temperature to 55 F when planning on an absence of a week or more. One thing I have noticed when visiting them is I can usually tell if they have been there a day or two already or have just arrived within a day or so. The floor is still cold 24 hours after they arrive.

trollbridge
# Posted: 16 Mar 2012 21:05

In northern Wisconsin we have friends who put the radiant in-floor heat in so their cabin is kept at 55 degrees while they are not there but they also installed a small wood stove that quickly brings the inside temps up when they arrive on Friday nights. They are very happy with their set up. Good luck!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.