Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Storage Shed - Metal or Stick Build?
SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 16:51

Looking to add some storage (no living) space at my cabin for things like bicycles, lawn furniture and such. I had a bike locked under my cabin, and alas, it was snipped/stolen. My neighbors shed has been spared more or less, so I'm thinking shed, too. I see metal sheds look pretty cheap for their size, and yes, I will need to anchor either a metal or stick built shed somehow. I've read here that the wooden shed kits are not a good value. Vinyl sheds are a bit pricier than metal, not very appealing. Metal will corrode but not be eaten by termites or defiled by woodpeckers.

A 10 x 12 metal building picked at random, $428 http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/yard-buildings-outdoor-storage-accesso ries/metal-yard-buildings/arrow-arlington-10-x-12-storage-building/p-1463760-c-9563.h tm

Are there better values out there?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 17:12

I don't see how. Looks like a fine shed to store what not in.

Steve961
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 17:16

How about a used 20 foot shipping container. It will cost you about $2K, but it will also provide a very high level of security.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 20:24

Depends. I'm big on aesthetics, so not liking the metal sheds, and what I've seen, they seem a bit bendy in places.
I'd put a framed lean-to against the cabin, or stand alone, built as rugged as the cabin.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 16:01

I put one of those sheds up many years ago at my first house. I would have loved to build a wooden one at the time but to save money I put the metal one up. I built a proper floor, lined the inside with 1/2" plywood to protect the walls and installed electrical and shelving. I made a nice ramp up to the doors and planter boxes on either side. I made trellises on both sides and planted climbing vines. In the front on either side I planted cedars. At the end of the day it turned out quite sharp. So if you go with the metal shed, just some suggestions on how to spruce it up.

cspot
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 19:42

SE Ohio,

If you are in SE Ohio then I would guess that you have a Carter Lumber somewhere around you? They sell storage sheds, pole buildings, and garage packages. Basically they will work up a custom package for you and it gives you the lumber package with everything you need along with a set of plans. You can save some money over buying a pre-built one going this route and allows you to customize where you want doors, windows, etc. Also allows you to add more studs, rafters, etc if you want it a little beefier. Depending on how big you may even want to look at a pole building as well.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.