Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Interesting cabin build (Cordwood / Stackwall construction)
neb
# Posted: 12 Jul 2015 21:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5Adc8ur7E

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 08:42

Has anyone lived in one of these?

Has anyone seen one that was more than 20-30 years old?

Interesting idea, I wonder about the long term realities.

Nice video, though. thanks for posting neb

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 09:23

These have been built in Europe for hundreds of years... We have examples in this area over 150 years old, even some barns. Cordwood / Stackwall construction is a very old technique and exceedingly durable and long lasting.

The preferred lumber to use is Cedar for obvious reasons. Lime Mortar mixed with a bit of Borax, Cedar Saw Dust allows the walls to breath naturally.

Current methodologies usually do this with 16-18" long logs of 6" + thicker with a mix of round & natural split for added strength. Building with 16-18" lengths allows you to have 6" of mortar, 6" of Cedar Saw Dust + Lime powder (insulation layer) and another 6" of mortar.

OUR Original Plan was to build with Cordwood and I spent several years researching it and looking at local examples... In fact we have a large number of homes & building in my region built this way with a couple of builder's specializing in this method. It is actually quite cost effective but extremely labour and time intensive. Cedar requires at least 2 yrs drying time after "barking" prior to being used this way. Barking, Cutting, Splitting, Air Stacking, WAITING 2 yrs, then building...

Reference Links:
cordwood construction org/
motherearth news cordwood-construction
greenhomebuilding cordwood

neb
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 22:55

I thought it was an interesting build. If you think about it you would basically use the same amount of wood and really one person could build it. You wouldn't need any equipment for lifting logs in place and making the right cuts for fitting on the corners. The small logs could be handled laid like laying cinder blocks. would think it would go up fast once you had every thing cut to size.

Malamute
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 14:39 - Edited by: Malamute

It probably requires more wood, but it can be in smaller lengths and sizes and be easier to handle. It would be pretty simple for an individual or a couple people that dont have much experience. After having mixed quite a lot of mortar by hand, I'd not be excited about that part.

It looks like a functional method, though doesnt have the character of log construction.

As a contrast, I'll say log does require some tools and understanding of methods that help make it easier, but doesnt quite require a top master craftsman to do it, as many feel. Many old log cabins were built by ordinary people with little or no experience, and not much in the way of tools. Log building has taken on the air of log mansions and palaces that are called "cabins", and require cranes, special tools, and a host of master craftsmen to build, and often expensive pre-milled logs. I think it puts off many as to how simple it can be.

The little cabin I'm in, myself with one one guy helping hand lifted all the logs needed. I think we used a rope come-a-long to pull the ridge log into place.

I'm more concerned about doing block or brick work than log work, but neophytes do block and brick work all the time and do OK with it. Log work turned out to be pretty simple once I started doing it and understood it.

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 23:56

You are probably right on material. A log built home could be done with one man using a block and tackle system. Pole would have to be set on the outer edges of the cabin itself.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.