Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Small house with rock wall taking in water
LastOutlaw
# Posted: 13 Jul 2015 14:49

I have a small house that the last owner built himself.
It used to be a small barn and has some large wood in the framing. it got a lot of blowing rain on the Southern wall this past month and now has a musty/mildew type of smell in it. I opened a wall from inside down low and checked the insulation in a couple of places and it was dry. No mold or mildew visible.
I found a spot that i could see what was behind the rock and it looks like barn boards with black plastic sheet (brittle and falling apart), tar paper then cement and rock on it. (I'm guessing chicken wire in there somewhere.

I want to rip it back down to the barn boards and then:
Cover with plywood, quality house wrap, insulation board then siding.

Sound like a correct way to fix?

Salty Craig
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 20:12

Yes, but bleach the framing and properly dry before covering with sheathing if you suspect any mold. Make sure completely dry regardless.

There's many good things to say about modern plywood with quality house wrap. Good luck.

Craig

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 14 Jul 2015 23:13

Thanks Craig for the reply and the tips.

creeky
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 08:07

don't forget to have a poke around the building science site. i've linked to their "read this before you renovate" booklet. There's a lot of good info in there, especially if yer doing a perfect wall style reno.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 15 Jul 2015 09:28

Awesome link, thanks creeky!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.