Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin Piers
dvgchef
# Posted: 11 Sep 2010 20:32

Hey gang!
Well, I've done did it - I built my little 12' by 12' cabin and it is sweet as a button. It isn't done yet- the roof, door and interior are yet to be done -but for the most part done.

The problem is the piers.

Now that I put so much sweat (8 weeks) and $ (about 3K) into it, I am second guessing myself on the piers.

I have four 6" by 6" piers on 10' center - in other words, they are each 10' away from each other - and I am worried it is not enough. They were hand dug by a crew till (they say) they hit solid rock, but that was only 2 - 3.5 feet. The suggested depth is 4' deep.

I found a company that can dig more holes by machine, the question is - do I need to, and if so how many and where? Or should I wait and see what the winter does?

I included a picture - the cabin is 3 1/2 feet off the ground at the highest, plus about 23' from the ground floor to the peak.

and you can see URL for more general details.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
painted cabin
painted cabin

Scott_T
# Posted: 12 Sep 2010 08:56

You're Ok if on solid rock. Pretty cool. Post more pics when you can.

islandguy
# Posted: 12 Sep 2010 15:17

Scott_T
The number of piers is a little irrelevent by itself. I put a 16x24 cabin on 12 piers, each 2'x2', with 3 24' pressure treated 6x6s running lengthwise, ie each 24 length supported by 4 pads. I could have used 10x10s and used only 3 pads per beam, or 12x12s and put only 2 skids on 3 each totaling only six piers from my original 12. With your small footprint, on bedrock, you should have no problem with your foundation, but you may concern yourself with anchoring the structure if your area is prone to high winds, as you have a lot of hight for a small area. Looks really good, hope you enjoy it.

dvgchef
# Posted: 13 Sep 2010 07:13

Thanks for the responses; it's one of the things I love about this site. Islandguy - I have a question. How are you making 2' X 2' piers? And how does one anchor a structure?

fasenuff
# Posted: 13 Sep 2010 08:15

An easy way to anchor a building is to use mobile home anchors but since you are at solid rock at such a shallow depth you're best bet is to dig to the rock and drill at an angle and epoxy in the anchors. If it were me I would then back fill the hole with cement. It will help hold the anchor.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.