Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Moving an old cabin, foundation?
windetch
# Posted: 16 Jul 2015 15:27

Hey all
I recently purchased 2.5 acres with a 1927 log cabin on it.

Cabin is... well, it's rough. Wood-boring beetles got to some of the logs (bad enough an inspector was able to stick a utility knife into a log, twist, and got an 8" shard and a decent bit of powder). Chinking has "1932" scrawled in it, so it's all a bit old and crumbly.

Cabin has been added on to twice, one with logs (now covered with paneling) and the other is a rather poorly framed out more modern build. I don't think anything was ever done to any semblance of code, but hey. Main structure has been standing for 88ish years.

There's significant water damage in the newer addition (around the bath tub) and moderate water damage in the main cabin (from a leaky water heater). And the roof needs attention. And the kitchen is awful, nothing salvageable.
Doesn't look to have any asbestos though, which is awesome.
But basically, to me, it's not worth rebuilding to be a livable house. Just needs too much (beetle damage sucks).

What I'd like to do is pick it up and move it ~75' backwards to the rear of the property and use it as storage / workshop. I found a guy that'll pick it up and move it for ~$5k, which seems reasonableish, but I'm running into difficulty foundation wise.

The main structure currently rests on 6 brick piers. One at each corner and one mid-way on each long span. There's various little support logs under there, but I'm not entirely sure how much good they're doing.
Foundation pictures here - http://imgur.com/a/Qbh9g

The county wants it on a full CMU block foundation. Not only would that be rather costly to put in, I'm not seeing how a log cabin sits on that kind of foundation. I emailed the structural engineering co. I had help me look it over and they agreed it needs the full block foundation, I don't get it.
The logs are not even over their length, they're old and warped. Two sides will not rest at all on a flat top block foundation.

It's on piers now, imho it seems like I should be able to put it back on piers.

I _almost_ moved it without talking to the county, but I just had a survey done and they'll be out at the property for any new structure I build anyways. They wouldn't miss the fact that I moved the cabin, and I don't really need them irritated at me.

A full block foundation runs, what, $5 - 8k ish?
Makes it real hard to justify moving it with the cabin in the shape it's in. $10 - 13k full moving cost is a rather nice shed, probably not as large but brand new and shiney.

I'm about at the point where it makes more sense to just tear it down, but figured I'd find a forum and ask, for grins.

Would appreciate any ideas or insight.
Cheers.

bldginsp
# Posted: 16 Jul 2015 15:44 - Edited by: bldginsp

I'm wondering if the bldg dept would let you put it on piers if you permit it as a utility building and not habitable space. You would have to remove all plumbing and any heat source. They probably won't go for this but it's worth asking, if you want to keep it.

Aside from the moving and foundation costs, what about the cost to re-roof and other repairs? It's been there for 80 years but from the sound of it, it's not going to be there much longer from a basic structural standpoint. Call the fire dept and ask if they are looking for buildings to burn for training purposes. If so your demo costs are reduced.

If you want to move it and put a full block foundation under it, consider this process- dig and pour a footing even with the soil. Move the building over the footing, and prop it up. Now build the block walls to the irregular sill logs, using different heights of block in different locations to accommodate the irregular contour of the logs. Don't know what the building dept. will think about this- they want to see the building tied to the foundation.

You can stick a knife straight into the logs? If you can do this in more than 1/4 of the logs, I think it's not worth the trouble. As soon as you start to talk about $4-5-6,000 to save this thing, at a minimum, I think you are better off investing in a new storage building.

Keep us posted.

windetch
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 15:24

Thanks

I did ask the county about it being storage once moved -- didn't mention workshop, just storage. They said it didn't matter, foundation code is by size of the structure.
They did say if I had an engineer sign off on plans I could deviate, but the one I talked to spec'd out a heavier duty foundation than the county requires.

Re-roof would just be cost of the shingles, 's a simple low roof and I can do that myself.
Water damage wise, I'd likely demo the newer addition (the floor is crunchy). Looks like it'd peel off fairly easily.
The water damage under the water heater in the main cabin got one of the cross logs, so I'd have to eval that, but not a huge deal.
If used for storage the flooring, kitchen, etc don't matter.

Not all, but a decent number of the bottom logs are affected by insect damage. Cabin seems sound enough though, which is why it's a bit of a shame to tear it down. But it's in the way, and if I can't economically move it down it'll come.

I got the property for below land value (bank foreclosure) and I knew the cabin was iffy at best, but eh. Was kinda hoping I could keep it, especially if I built a new house the cabin could be a place I can tear down an engine and not worry about grease and oil.

Miiight be able to just set it on a slab... would be cheaper than a CMU block foundation.

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 15:53

Slab foundations work. What is the frost depth as you still need to deal with that? So I don't know if that would be cheaper then CMU.

Dismantle it and use the good logs to assemble a new building. ??? On a county approved foundation.

cspot
# Posted: 17 Jul 2015 20:38

Quoting: windetch
Makes it real hard to justify moving it with the cabin in the shape it's in. $10 - 13k full moving cost is a rather nice shed, probably not as large but brand new and shiney.

You could build a really nice shed for what you will have in the house and the shed will probably be less maintenance and cost overtime. The only reason to use the house that I can see is if you really like the look.

Around me a 30X40 pole barn costs you about $8,500 in material only (not including concrete floor).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.