Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Moving and Restoring a 75 year old Cabin
moemar1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 20:52 - Edited by: moemar1

We have recently purchased a 1/4 section of land which we plan to build our retirement home on some day. The property has a lot of potential, especially the current house site which overlooks a creek. It also has a lot of garbage on it (old farm equipment, vehicles, out buildings, etc) which will take some time to clean up. It also has an old log building that we are considering moving back into the trees and then restoring. The problem is that both my wife and I are not what you would call the handiest of people. With that said, we have done some basic research and have had a local fellow who specializes in log buildings to come out and take a look at. He told me that it is built out of fire killed logs which is why it hasn't rotted out. He can also move it for me to where we want to put it. It needs a new roof, new floor, one of the walls need to be stabilized and it has to be put on some sort of foundation. I am attaching a few pictures to show the building and where it is going to be moved to. I am just looking for some honest feedback to see if it is a worthwhile project or if we are better off buying a package to build a new cabin.
Exterior Picture
Exterior Picture
Interior Picture
Interior Picture
Site Area
Site Area

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 21:56

SAVE THE LOG CABIN!!! Its worth saving for SURE!!

even if you use it a wing off the new cabin...or a least a guest cabin !!! lot of history there~~nice looking spot you have cleared as well!!!

MtnDon
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 22:23 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: moemar1
built out of fire killed logs which is why it hasn't rotted out.

My experiences with burned out forests is that those fire killed trees rot and are attacked by insects and fungi as readily as the ones that die from other natural causes and just as readily as any tree cut with a chain saw.

Fire killed trees left standing seem to suffer about the same decay as beetle killed trees left standing around here. Perhaps the species is one that has some natural resistance to decay or to insects? Some insects get into the fire kill before the area has fully cooled after the fire.

As far as moving and rehabilitating I think that is a project bigger than is being imagined considering it needs a foundation, a floor, a roof, some kind of wall work and who knows what other surprises as the project develops. I'd be very careful with the estimating before committing.

Is the idea to restore and use it as the basis for the retirement home? I'd get at least one other on site inspection and opinion and estimate of time and cost. I think I'd want to see completed projects of a similar scale and talk to the hopefully happy owners.

I see Alberta is the location. That foundation will need deep footings to prevent future frost damage.

Best of luck!

moemar1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 22:52

Thanks for the feedback MtnDon. The cabin has been standing for 68 years (not the 75 that I posted) and built by Polish homesteaders in 1947. It is still very structurally sound with the exception of the south wall which has shifted somewhat over the years.

This cabin would be strictly for recreational use only and as such we would not be doing a lot of the things the more serious cabin enthusiast would consider. Our primary concern is the cost of the project which I know can far easily exceed our budget. I have priced out the roof (tin) at about $800 and the move will be done fairly cheaply. We have a gravel foundation but not sure what type of foundation to put it on. Do you think pressure treated 8 x 8's would work? I know foundations are really important so we may consider other options. We have 4 steel pilings that are in the ground at the house site but are not being used. I know a guy who could yank them out and put them back in for me at a reasonable price. We need to add a few doors, windows, flooring, chinking and know all of this will add up. We have a real cool old wooden cook stove that was in the original homestead + a wood stove just for heating purposes.

This project would be more a labour of love than a solid financial investment. We love the history of the building and think it could be a cozy little getaway when it's done. I am not saying that money isn't an object but I think that if we just do a little bit at a time, we can absorb the cost. Thankfully I have a lot of friends who are willing to help (or at least say they are willing to help).
20150525_163811.jpg
20150525_163811.jpg

moemar1
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 22:56

thanks. I love the history too but like MtnDon says, it might be a bigger project than imagined but thankfully I have a pretty big imagination.

neb
# Posted: 18 Jul 2015 23:30

I would not tear it down unless you want to build on the same spot. It could be used for a shop etc. and could be a project down the road. It looks like a roof would be the first thing which isn't that big of deal.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.