Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Single mom of 3 builds tiny cabin
SE Ohio
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 13:04 - Edited by: SE Ohio

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/home_and_garden/2015/07/19/1-close-quarters.h tml

I've got three kids just a few years older than she does, and I couldn't have done this, unless I had a babysitter living a few lots over. I somehow think grandma had a bigger role in this story!

Hey- Kid 1, you run the power saw
Kid 2, you're on the nail gun
Kid 3, look over the plans, will ya?

Wilbour
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 14:57

I saw another article on this woman with some interior photos. There were a few concerns I had with regards to a load bearing wall supported by a long window without proper support.

On a whole, I commend people who step up to the challenge and refuse to be looking for handouts

naturelover66
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 16:56

I think its awesome!! Girl power!!!

bigriver
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 17:07

I guess she is doing alright financially. My wife and I had 3 children and it took us over five years to complete our cabin.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 19:25

So it seems like this is a recreational/weekend home for them and not a home that they will be living in full-time? I guess that's the only way she can get around not having a septic system, although I do wonder where the greywater is going, anyway. Good for her, in any case, for working on this herself!

I watched a show last night on Discovery about four different people staking claims and building cabins on VERY remote land in Alaska. Great show! I think it's a series. Land Stake, Land Grab, something like that, maybe?

Anyhoo, one is a single mum with an 8-year-old son. She left her job as an engineer to go build an off-grid life so she could teach her son how to survive and thrive. Her dad, her ex, and a few others are helping her build the cabin but all of these folks need help because they're working under major weather, terrain, and time constraints.

I hope I can find out what day this show is on because I want to see how all of these people do!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 19:57

what a woman!! love this.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 23 Jul 2015 22:09

Julie2, The show is Land Rush and it airs on Discovery Tuesday nights.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 00:33

AK Seabee

Thank you so much!!! I'm not much of a TV-watcher but now that I'm stuck in the hospital, I'm watching some stuff. This is a good show!

Seeing that you're in Alaska, is that the truth == that every 2 years people can stake a land claim and pretty much build what they want?

NorthRick
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 14:48

Hi Julie,

I'm in Alaska too, and no, there is no more free land up here. The state will periodicallly run a cabin staking program where they will pick some state land for staking. Then, there is usually a lottery to pick who will be allowed to stake land within the set boundaries. If you are chosen, there is a time period where you go out and stake the corners to the land you want.

But, it is not free land. You have to hire a professional surveyor to survey the parcel you marked. That can be expensive if you have to fly them in. There are other rules and if you comply with all of them, you pay the state fair market value for the parcel and then it is yours.

In most of these so called "reality" shows, they aren't as remote or in such dire situations as the show portrays.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 17:20

Quoting: NorthRick
Hi Julie,

I'm in Alaska too, and no, there is no more free land up here. The state will periodicallly run a cabin staking program where they will pick some state land for staking. Then, there is usually a lottery to pick who will be allowed to stake land within the set boundaries. If you are chosen, there is a time period where you go out and stake the corners to the land you want.

But, it is not free land. You have to hire a professional surveyor to survey the parcel you marked. That can be expensive if you have to fly them in. There are other rules and if you comply with all of them, you pay the state fair market value for the parcel and then it is yours.

In most of these so called "reality" shows, they aren't as remote or in such dire situations as the show portrays.

Hi NorthRick,
The show "implied" some of what you're writing but wasn't explicit. In the narratives, they spoke of people being chosen, surveys, corners, and picking out land from what the state was offering. The prices were quite low, though -- like 20+ acres for $15K-20K.

I figured there was some hype, being reality TV. I'm mostly interested in how they're building their cabins in very rugged places; what designs, foundations, and things they're using; and how they're going to live off-grid. We shall see!

The single mum on the show with the 8-year-old is really being adventurous! She's building a cabin about the size of the one I have planned so I'm eager to see how it goes and what they do for hot water, plumbing, and such in that environment!

Thank you for the information! People sure are fascinated by Alaska these days, eh?

NorthRick
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 18:16

Our cabin is not road accessible and with a little embellishing, I could make it sound pretty arduous and sketchy to build out there. But then Twofeweekends would probably call me out. Our cabin is about a mile north of his.

I love Alaska, but all those reality shows drive me crazy. I think they have prompted at least a few people to moved up here that have no clue.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 24 Jul 2015 22:08

Julie 2,
For the most part I concur with North Rick. The reality shows are scripted hype but fun to watch. In this case they are building cabins and might actually air some good information if you dismiss the drama.

Also, there is no free land and for the most part, our land is pretty spendy. Especially if the property is not swamp or vertical. I watched the show as well and smirked when they mentioned the price of the property.

Everyone I know goes to fish camp every summer and hunt camp every fall /late summer to fill the freezer with natural organic meat. Unlike tv though, if we come home empty handed we dont starve. We can always drive to the grocery store. In fact, it is probably cheaper to buy the meat than to hunt and fish for it once you add up all the hidden costs. Not as fun though.

I enjoy the shows simply because they are better than anything else on TV and sometimes get you to think in a different direction. I will continue to watch

North Rick,
If you built your cabin off the road system you can honestly say with no embelishing that it was difficult. For me, the construction is the easy part. Getting the materials from Anchorage to the cabin site takes planning, luck, hard work and lots of gas.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.