Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Can you build a traditional log cabin out of ash?
Sarahax
# Posted: 26 Jul 2015 18:00

Hello small cabin forumers,

Last year we completed our traditional log cabin here in Sussex in the south of England, and it's caused quite a lot of interest. Today we met a couple who came to have a look who want to build a cabin of similar design out of ash. They have quite a few ash trees of the right size on their land. What do you think? Has anyone got experience of working with ash?
I understand you have to get the design right and need to make sure that the logs have good clearance from the ground and there's a good overhang to keep them nice and dry. What do you think about building with ash?

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Jul 2015 18:43

Nice to hear from you Sarahax. You can build log constructions from any logs. The three main issues for choosing species are rot resistance, workability, and stability while drying.

I don't know anything about the ash species found in English forests. American ash is not known as a rot resistant species and insects go after it. It is very workable and fairly stable. An unstable wood would twist and distort as it dries, making holes in the walls.

I suggest you consult local wood sawyers or woodworkers to get the best info on the particular species you are dealing with.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.