Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Non load bearing beams
High mileage
# Posted: 29 Jul 2015 22:43

Hello all,
Working on a 24 x 36 off grid cabin. Using pole barn construction. I need 6 non load bearing beams to span the 24' width. These are for "looks only", as useless as that sounds. Any ideas on how to buy or construct a beam 6x6 or 6x8 at this length? I thought of the engineered beams of 2x4's and osb down a dado groove in the 2 by's. I can cover all sides with thin lightweight cedar. Appreciate any ideas.

creeky
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 05:15

Why not just make a box out of the cedar?

Screw a 2x4 into the ceiling. Tack the cedar around it.

High mileage
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 06:52

Thanks for the reply. I didn't explain effectively. The ceiling inside is 10'. I'd like to place the beams at 8' to give an appearance of lower ceiling.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 08:19 - Edited by: bldginsp

A drawing would help. Sounds like you are making a soffit along the inside of the wall 2' down from the ceiling. I usually see these made from 2x4s, sometimes plywood. Don't see what you mean about the dado. Since it's non-structural it's really about what is most convenient and easy for you. Creeky's idea of just making a cedar box could have the advantage that you could make the boxes at home, bring them on site and assemble them, minimizing the time spent on site.

Consider running a string of LED lights on top of the soffit for soft lighting.

Or, did you mean running box beams as faux ceiling beams every 4-6 feet, and lowering the ceiling, leaving a 2' attic?

drawing would help.

High mileage
# Posted: 30 Jul 2015 19:38

Bingo. Box beams dropped 2ft from ceiling to give appearance of a lower ceiling. Only place to attach is around the perimeter of the wall 8ft up as I want the free span look. The prefab floor trusses can be bought using a 2 x 4 for the base and top (where decking is nailed) with osb vertically down the middle of the 2x4's in a dado groove. An "I" beam. Problem is they are made for structural support and are 14" Tall or more. A 6" metal I beam would work, I just don't want the weight to deal with. May have to can the idea. I do appreciate the response.

Don_P
# Posted: 2 Aug 2015 15:15

The larger question is how is the roof constructed? Is it trusses, rafters suspended from a structural ridge or stick framed and in need of ties?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.