Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Old cabin foundation rebuilding
Matt444
# Posted: 10 Aug 2015 14:50

I have a 35 year old cabin that sits on soil. Over the years the posts that support it have been replaced with stacked rocks, logs, and an old screw jack. I would like to replace the support structures. I'm considering using treated 6x6 beams. I would cut them to about 2 foot lengths and stack them in pairs with about three inches between them. Every other layer of the stacked beams will be turned 90 degrees. My concern is that even though the beams will be under the cabin and protected from direct rain the horizontal surfaces will trap moisture and eventually rot.

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Aug 2015 15:16

Have you considered precast piers with 4x4 posts vertically to the girders?

NorthRick
# Posted: 10 Aug 2015 15:21 - Edited by: NorthRick

There are different grades of treated wood. Look for stuff rated for burial or "foundation grade." It will cost more but it is designed to resist rotting when actually buried in the ground.

If you can dig out a bit under each spot and refill with gravel, that would help too.

Don_P
# Posted: 10 Aug 2015 21:34

Quoting: bldginsp
Have you considered precast piers with 4x4 posts vertically to the girders?

Not allowed for a deck much less a house

What you've described is called cribbing. It's often used when jacking up a house. I normally use 4' pieces when doing that to make a wide, stable base. If it is to be permanent I'd want it on something to prevent it from sinking into the ground or rising when the ground freezes. For long term use I lag them together with 3/8 x 10" lag screws.

If you have rocks why not lay up large stone piers... wider than tall.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.