Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sheer strength help
dmck
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 14:24

Hello!
Need some help thinking about my cabin frame.
I have a 10 wide x 12 long main room with a 8' overhang in front to serve as a sleeping loft. this makes the roof line 20' long.

The problem is that we wanted more room in the loft, so we built a 2' pony wall on top of the 8' wall to raise the roof up a bit. I am concerned that we don't have a good way to support that pony wall. Basically, I think that when you put the roof on up, it will want to act as a hinge. Any ideas on how to support that without making it look terrible? The good way would have been to frame the walls up to 10', but it's too late for that now. Ha. Thanks!

dmck
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 14:26

Here is a photo
Sideview
Sideview

NorthRick
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 16:31

Where is this at? What kind of snow loads and wind loads do you expect? I realize it is still under construction but the front end of the overhang isn't supported very well right now.

dmck
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 17:17 - Edited by: dmck

Yeah, that bracing is temporary and we have a plan to support the front.

It's in Southern Trinity County in Northern California. I could not find snow load info right away (Zip Code 95552), but the area rarely gets over a couple inches. Thanks!

NorthRick
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 18:39

You'd probably be fine with collar ties. However, installing posts in the center of either end of the cabin with a properly sized ridge beam would be better.

Don_P
# Posted: 11 Aug 2015 22:30 - Edited by: Don_P

That's actually a rafter thrust rather than a shear problem, for whatever a name is worth. The rafter ties would need to be in the lower third of rafter height to do the job... would kind of ruin the loft. You really need a ridgebeam that is directly supported by posts to the footings. Size depends on span between support posts (3 if possible in 20') and snow load.

dmck
# Posted: 12 Aug 2015 12:06

Much appreciated,guys! And thanks for the correction on the term. I was guessing. Ha. . Think I found my answer from some contractor friends.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.