Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 14 gauge wire for Cabin wiring
SouthernOutlaw
# Posted: 12 Aug 2015 12:18

My wife and I just purchased a 14x36 wooden storage building that has been wired with 14 gage wire. The building was going be used as a barber shop, but the man who owned it never got around to doing any more than putting in the wire, huge breaker box, and many outlets. The cabin will have a 5500 watt generator enclosed in a small building, along with 4 rv batteries, and solar panels. My question is can the 14 gauge wire also be used to conduct 12 volt current. My wife and I have to have cell phone, and Internet access for our business. I will disconnect the wires used for 12 volt from the breaker panel, and run them to the inverter fuse box.

old243
# Posted: 12 Aug 2015 22:42

14-2 wire can be used to conduct 12volt power. It is rated to carry 15 amps of load. So for the load you mention should be fine. old243

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 00:50 - Edited by: MtnDon

The potential issue with DC wiring is the length of wire and the amps to be carried. Too many amps and too far = too much voltage drop. This can be severe with 12 VDC. Look for a voltage drop calculator online.

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 07:37

volts x amps =watts. 12 volts x 15 amps (max) = 180 watts per circuit. If you run more than 180 watts thru #14 wire at 12 volts, it will start to heat up the wire. Just make sure you have a 15 amp DC rated fuse or breaker at the beginning of each separate circuit.

SouthernOutlaw
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 10:05

Thanks for the replies. This is what I needed to know. As of right now the building is behind our business and trying to work on it a little from time to time.the heat here has been so bad that it is almost impossible for this old guy to get anything done in side of it right now. I have two spots for campers set up behind the business and I am going to go ahead and wire in a 50 amp wire into the box so I can get an a/c running

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.