Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Kitchen Countertop Base
VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 09:52

I have a countertop that is particle board and formica and don't have any cabinets so my plan is to build something to set the countertop on. My thinking is just to build something out of 2x4's and have a shelf underneath. Looking for ideas and pictures if anyone has any. The countertop I have is a corner sink set up. So the sink will be in the corner and there will be about 4 feet of countertop space off of both sides.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 13:54 - Edited by: Julie2Oregon

The contractors who will build my cabin are essentially shed builders who also build small cabins/homes from scratch in sections. One of the "options" they offer is a sturdy, long "workbench" made of wood at a very reasonable price. The workbench top is sturdy and thick enough to install a sink.

I'm planning to go with that as my countertop base, which pretty much sounds like what you're doing, and I've decided to affix either small stone or ceramic tiles with grout and sealant on top of that. Home Depot sells neat little square foot packages of stone tile that are already fixed to a mesh backing, which you place and fill in with grout and seal. They're for walls, essentially, but an employee told me they're great for countertops, too, and very easy to do. I'm going to weigh the cost of that with buying the small tiles and supplies separately.

I'm going to keep the bottom open for a bit (except for a curtain to hide the plumbing, perhaps) because I'm not sure how I'll end up going with other fixtures in the future. I will probably have an all-in-one washer/dryer under the counter and part of it will be a "breakfast bar" for eating so barstools will be stowed under there.

I don't want to permanently build in some things until I've lived in the cabin for a while and see what's functional and logical for me in the setup! The kitchen, being small and because I'm a foodie, will be vastly important and needs to be very efficient.

DaveBell
# Posted: 13 Aug 2015 21:00

Simpson Strong Tie brackets for 2x4's

Three inch #8 wood screws

Six 4x4's, one at each corner, 2 inches shy of standard counter height.

Connect 4x4's all the way around with 2x4 and brackets, top and bottom. (Build away from wall, slide into corner later) Use a level. Do not mount brackets past outer edge of 4x4's.

Four feet minus 2 each 4x4 = length of 2x4.
Extrapolate same calc for short sides.

Inside 4x4 corner to back sides, install 2x4 front to back, top and bottom. Like this "V" but square.

Locate wall studs.

Slide unit into corner.

Secure to wall studs with screws.

Mount counter top with construction adhesive.

I pilot drill holes with smaller bit to make screwing easier.

VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 14 Aug 2015 10:06

Thanks for the detailed information.

DaveBell - do you have a picture of you setup? It might help me understand a couple of you instructions. Particularly the 3 below:

Connect 4x4's all the way around with 2x4 and brackets, top and bottom. (Build away from wall, slide into corner later) Use a level. Do not mount brackets past outer edge of 4x4's.

Four feet minus 2 each 4x4 = length of 2x4.
Extrapolate same calc for short sides.

Inside 4x4 corner to back sides, install 2x4 front to back, top and bottom. Like this "V" but square.

DaveBell
# Posted: 14 Aug 2015 17:14 - Edited by: DaveBell

Frame
The only sucky thing in this pic is the vertical 2x4's on the inside corner, they would interfere with shelving. If you can, put them between the top and bottom horizontal 2x4's so they are flush. Drill pilot holes at 45 degree angle in the vertical 2x4's then glue and screw. You don't need glue at the 4x4's.

Use a level. (Is critical for the top framing so that the counter top has a level base to sit on. You don't want any 4x4 to be higher than any 2x4. It's okay if you need any top 2x4 to exceed the top of any 4x4 because it is a larger surface for the counter to sit on. Any small leveling error on the top framing of less than 1/8 inch will be remedied with the construction adhesive that you will apply in 1/4 inch bead. All the top 2x4's need to be level with each other in all directions so you need a 4 foot level.

Do a test mount of the counter top to the frame and look underneath for any unsupported areas around the perimeter. )

If you end up with a top leveling problem, you can use wood shims (from the store) between the counter and 2x4's before the adhesive.

Do not mount brackets past outer edge of 4x4's. You will see what I mean when you see the brackets. The brackets have flanges for screws.

I deleted a 4x4 at the inside corner so the count is 5 4x4, 2 inches shy of standard counter height. I don't know the sink dimensions and clearances.
Frame.jpg
Frame.jpg

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Aug 2015 15:54

Simpson LU24

DaveBell
# Posted: 15 Aug 2015 15:55

I think the Simpson LU24 bracket is the one I used for 2x4s.
LU24.jpg
LU24.jpg

VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 09:09

Thanks DaveBell for the picture and instructions. This helps a lot.

DaveBell
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 16:49

Thanks VC,
If you can, post some pics when you build it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.