Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / shed foundation
Anonymous
# Posted: 22 Sep 2010 19:55

Love reading the forum. I want to build a small storage shed, which will hone my skills a bit before building a bit larger cabin. The shed is going to be 12x20. If I build the subfloor on top of two skids- do they need to be 6x6? What size would rim/floor joists need to be? Should I have a center beam? Thanks for any help.

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 27 Sep 2010 15:51

6x6's will do for the skids. For the joists I'd use 2x8's. At 16" spacing, SPF 2x8 joists will span 11 feet.

logcabinsrevealed
# Posted: 1 Oct 2010 11:59 - Edited by: logcabinsrevealed

Don't know which country you are from, but you might want to consider some type of foundation system like this:

http://www.swiftfoundations.co.uk/

Hope this helps you,

fthurber
# Posted: 21 Nov 2010 12:50

Quoting: soundandfurycabin
6x6's will do for the skids. For the joists I'd use 2x8's. At 16" spacing, SPF 2x8 joists will span 11 feet.

Wow. 2x8; that will be very sturdy. My frame will be 4 4x6 SPF beams and I was thinking 2x4 SPF joists but maybe I need larger than that. The good news these beams are from my local building supply place instead of the Big Box stores so that wood is way superior; I will post pictures later...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 Nov 2010 14:10

Quoting: Anonymous
Love reading the forum. I want to build a small storage shed, which will hone my skills a bit before building a bit larger cabin. The shed is going to be 12x20. If I build the subfloor on top of two skids- do they need to be 6x6? What size would rim/floor joists need to be? Should I have a center beam? Thanks for any help.

That size, I'd use either a slab or a full footing/stemwall. A slab would be the best route IMHO. But for the span, I'd use 2X8, 16" OC Then with 2X8, if you go full 8 foot walls (92 5/8" studs) then the 9 foot long siding with cover your full wall and your rim joist with about an inch of overlap id you use 3/4 or 1" T&G for the floor. Make sure you glue and nail it, no squeaks.

fasenuff
# Posted: 21 Nov 2010 16:28

One thing you can do is go look at the prefab storage buildings. That will give you ideas and let you see first hand the results of the way they did things. Then you can cchange as needed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.