Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / 4x4 Outhouse - VT - Plan, Advice Requested
kmobrien
# Posted: 22 Aug 2015 10:38

Hi all,

I am building a surface-style (e.g., no pit) outhouse on slightly uneven ground in central VT. This is the second outdoor structure I'll have ever built; the first is a 3-sided wood shed, built in MA using traditional timber framing, so the experience doesn't translate particularly well. I'd love feedback and advice on my plan.

The goal here is to build a simple but long-lasting outhouse, 4x4, to house a Luggable Loo-style container for the near term. We may eventually switch that to a composting toilet.

Some of my basic design objectives are to have a structure that is relatively bug-proof, can be warmed up in the winter, and which will be sturdy even with heavy snowfall. The site for it is protected by trees, but it's still VT and can see 2-3' snowstorms at times.Since this will not be a pit-style toilet, being able to move the structure in the future is not a concern.

In part, this (small) structure is also a way for us to build confidence and skill prior to building a larger cabin in a year or two, so we're looking at how to build this correctly, even if it is overbuilt given its intended purpose.

Foundation: I'm considering a pier-style foundation, the plan for which would be using our 2-man auger to drill a 4-5' hole at each corner, filling in 3-4" of gravel, and placing a 12" cardboard tube in the hole and filling it with Quickrete 5000 to create a concrete pier.

We would then set an offset plate and a small section of 6x6 post on the top of each pier, and build a timber rim out of half-lapped 6x6s, lag-bolted into the posts.

Frame: I'm planning on stick-framed walls, and T1-11 siding, painted and likely with battens (which I can cut in my home woodshop) over the grooves.

Roof: Most intimidated here; I'm thinking about a ridge beam roof with birdsmouth cut rafters, fascia boards, and simple screened soffits. Alternatively, we could do a simpler angled roof. In either case, we'll look for green corrugated metal roofing, as it will both be strong and fit with the VT aesthetic.

Suggestions? Things I've missed?

DaveBell
# Posted: 22 Aug 2015 12:53

Practice run for the cabin. Good idea.

How about 8x4, 4x4 enclosed and 4x4 roof only to help keep snow back from the door. You could add 1x4 spaced spaced 2" apart on the open 4x4 area, on 2 sides of the prevailing winds to also help keep snow back and allow ventilation.

heating, http://www.mrheater.com/product/heaters/buddy-series.html
These are not indoor safe for air tight small cabins overnight, they use up oxygen. But should work well in a short term visit space.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.