Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / I would like to build a cabin on a skid, how big can I make the cabin?
jayinwww
# Posted: 4 Sep 2015 02:48 - Edited by: jayinwww

I would like to build a cabin on a skid, how big can I make the cabin within reason of possible moving it at some point?

I was just thinking about putting down some concrete slabs and building a skid first then building the cabin from there. Would a 16' x 20' cabin be a good size or maximum side for a cabin that will just be built on a skid?

I also would like to start up a material list. I was gonna use 2x6's. Could I do a 20 x 20 or would 20 x 16 be more realistic?

Thanks

BryanL
# Posted: 4 Sep 2015 10:51

Here's a picture of my 12x24 lofted barn that was built on skids. Pretty happy with it so far. Extended skids out front 4 feet to make for an easy deck addition. I went with a higher barn to get some decent storage and sleeping space in loft. Don't think I would want to go much bigger than this.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

PA_Bound
# Posted: 4 Sep 2015 11:03

You mention wanting to be able to move the cabin. How far are you thinking? If you are going to move it over the roads, that is going to require a width below 16 feet.

Just
# Posted: 4 Sep 2015 11:27 - Edited by: Just

16 ft. wide max , two skids set 1 ft. in from the edge of the 2x10x16 floor joists .. The longer it is the harder it is to keep it level . not to be inspected but should be ok ...IMO

groingo
# Posted: 4 Sep 2015 13:22 - Edited by: groingo

From personal experience, pick the right site the first time so you don't have to move it.....much less expensive overall plus they get very heavy, my little 10 by 12 shed was just over 3600 pounds.

jayinwww
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 04:09 - Edited by: jayinwww

Thank you for all your input everyone, if we move it, it would just be moved to another spot on the same property. I think we will go for a 20 x 16 cabin. I want it big enough to be able to put a small wood stove in for heating but not too big that I will never be able to finish it.

We have two spots in mind, we have 80 acres mostly trees. One spot we might build it is by the main road in which we like that idea because our neighbor would be able to see it across the road just in case of someone trying to break into it when we are not there. We are weekend warriors. The other spot is further in in which you can't see it from the road so it's out of sight out of mind type thing. But we can't seem to decide.

I think we might just build by the road as sometimes if another neighbor is driving past on a quad they sometimes come over for a beer or so and have a chat.

We were gonna slowly build it and maybe have it done sometime next summer.

I was gonna build it on top of bought cement blocks. Does anyone have any detailed pictures of a skid that's built that I can learn from and build from?

I really like this skid here, but I can't seem to make it all out.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zg4rpj&s=8

Just
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 07:45

no blocks , they make square pads like used in your pic are much better ..

Don_P
# Posted: 5 Sep 2015 07:55 - Edited by: Don_P

Skids, at least 2, are beams that support the floor and somehow transfer the load to the ground. A flat patio block is used to spread out the load and level the floor in the pic above. Depending on the strength and stiffness of the skids (girders) there will need to be blocks supporting it along its' length. Upside, it is fast and cheap. Downside is that it does not prevent frost from lifting the building seasonally and the structure is not tied down in the event of high wind. The "skids" in the photo are built up 2x treated lumber, it looks like a 4 ply 2x10 beam. The floor joists at 16' span between skids would be 2x12's, if the beams are pulled in a foot from each side the floor span drops to around 14' and 2x10's would work. That close to the ground all of that material should be pressure treated. The walls can be 2x6, rafters and ceiling joists need to be looked at with regard to snow load and attic or loft load. If it matters, that method of construction will not pass inspection.

pondjumpr
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 11:34

I just wanted to make mention about your reasoning about putting the cabin near the road first, so the neighbors can keep an eye on it.

I bought 40 acres a few years ago and it had an old house on it. My initla plan was to remodel the existing house or at least use some of the structure. It was larger than I wanted. There are two houses right in front of the little house we bought on the acreage and both are full time residents. They "keep an eye on the place."

long story short, a year or two after we owned it and after cleaning up the property on the weekends, I went to visit one day and noticed several things missing. ALL metal on the property, in the house, including wiring, door knobs, etc. were gone. Someone had even stolen the tin off the barn beside the house.

After calling the police and makign a report, I spoke to the neighbor. she explained that a truck with two men had coem in one morning, broad daylight, and started 'working" on my place. Since they looked liek they were supposed to be there, she didn't think anyting of it. She said they were there for 2-3 days! She thought I was having someone do some work with all the "beating and banging" going on during the middle of the day.
Keep in mind, this house was less than 100 feet off the road, no trees blocking it on a State Highway with several hundred cars per day driving by. (maybe per hour)

Anyway, just keep in mind that unless your neighbor is willing to go confront anyone who steps foot on your property, you may not even be safe with someone "watching your property." I hope younever have an experience like I had but it killed my dream of rebuilding that old house or putting a cabin on that property.

Best wishes to you but if you are concerned that someone might mess with your stuff, you are rolling the dice no matter where you place it on your property. I say put it where you want it, build it how you like it and don't let some Meth-head change how you enjoy your property.

Best wishes!

Bevis
# Posted: 10 Sep 2015 15:53

Quoting: pondjumpr
don't let some Meth-head change how you enjoy your property.

I'm now wishing I would've kept my Tenn property and rebuilt...

jayinwww
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 01:44

Quoting: pondjumpr
Best wishes to you but if you are concerned that someone might mess with your stuff, you are rolling the dice no matter where you place it on your property. I say put it where you want it, build it how you like it and don't let some Meth-head change how you enjoy your property.

Thank you for that information. I think we will build deeper in the property. Not too deep but an area where the ground is higher. I plan to make the cabin as cheap as possible but still be stable and comfortable. We are looking into getting cameras set up that run on solar panel.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 13:04

We camped on our property for a time before we built. Moving the tent until we found the right spot. I recommend you do the same. We avoided building our cabin in the wrong spot by doing this.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 2 May 2016 18:19

Any updates?

Benkel
# Posted: 21 Sep 2018 12:06

Curious, could two shorter skids be overlapped (staggered) and screwed together to create a longer one, i.e. laminated? My local mill has 12ft lengths but not the 20ft I am looking for, so I'm hoping there is a way I can use the 12ft lengths to create the 20ft skids I want.

Thx!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.