Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Attic Ladder Configuration
VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 08:16

So I am struggling with what type of ladder to use for my loft. Originally I was just going to put in a ladder using 2x10's and route out handles. It was going to have a slight angle versus straight up and down but we were worried about it taking up room on the first floor. So we changed our mind to an attic ladder so that it could be closed up and out of the way when not needed. We didn't want to cut a rectangle hole in the loft floor because we didn't want to take up space there as well so we are trying to come up with a way to mount it on the outside area of the loft. One long side of the ladder frame would be mounted against the 2x8 floor joist and another short side would be mounted to the wall of the cabin. The only issue now is that we still have to other sides that need to be mounted to something. Any thoughts or has anybody seen someone on this site that has done this before?

beachman
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 08:39

I have been thinking about this same issue. I have a loft ladder that I made out of 2x8 cedar with dowels and screws for each step and like the fact that I can move it around to another junk loft over the front door when I need it. BUT - I would like to be able to attach it to the wall leading up to the loft and draw it down and out when I need it. I will be watching this post with interest.

Just
# Posted: 11 Sep 2015 11:30

Support the 4 th. corner of the ladder opening , with a rod attached to a rafter above the 4 th. corner .. got a pic??

VC_YamahaRider
# Posted: 19 Oct 2015 15:26 - Edited by: VC_YamahaRider

Here is the final product and what we decided to do.
Attic_Stairs.jpg
Attic_Stairs.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 07:01

I have been using an aluminum step ladder and have been thinking of creating a wooden ladder as posted above. What stops me is that fact that this aluminum ladder can be easily removed and used all around my camp. When I am not using it I just tilt it back to the wall. The best of both worlds would be a wooden ladder.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Oct 2015 08:30

Hinge with rope and pulley? Could be counterweighted so it's easy to raise and lower.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.