Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Soffit framing
grover
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 11:15

I don't want to do a traditional soffit. This one is just a little different and it's what my wife wants. I'm having trouble finding pics of how to frame since it's a little different. Any advice?

grover
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 11:15

DaveBell
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 18:01

The left soffit frame is just the bottom of the truss. The right soffit is a 2x4 ladder attached to the top of the end truss up to the peak. Do you have any pics or design of what you have now so we can see where yo need to go with framing?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 18:19

I was looking into closing mine off for fire protection with cement panels. I have used hardi siding before and looked at their hardi soffit. Nice stuff, you can lay it right over your rafter tails.

http://www.jameshardie.com/Products/HardieSoffit-Panels

bldginsp
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 18:29

Grover- the horizontal soffit on the left in your photo is usually made by nailing a 2x4 to the wall, like a ledger, the nailing short 2x4s sistered to the sides of the rafter tails and toe nailed into the ledger. Only thing you need to think about is venting. The Hardi soffit panel Toyota mentioned comes in a perforated form for the purpose. If you are not in fire country just install regular vents.

Bevis
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 21:25

Quoting: bldginsp
Only thing you need to think about is venting

If using the soffit material like pictured, then it is vented. I have the same soffit on my home.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Sep 2015 22:29

And if there is ever a chance of fire at your cabin, avoid vinyl soffits at all cost. Same goes for vinyl gutters too. Vinyl doesn't belong on a cabin.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 01:03

Vinyl belongs nowhere. Vinyl production facilities are among the dirtiest of all industries, the product in use exudes poisonous chemicals, if burned the smoke is toxic beyond belief, and there is no way to dispose of the stuff that prevents it leaching poisons into the landfill drainoff. Don't buy it, use it or touch it with a 20 foot pole. End off-topic rant.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Sep 2015 12:26

Quoting: bldginsp
Vinyl belongs nowhere. Vinyl production facilities are among the dirtiest of all industries, the product in use exudes poisonous chemicals, if burned the smoke is toxic beyond belief, and there is no way to dispose of the stuff that prevents it leaching poisons into the landfill drainoff. Don't buy it, use it or touch it with a 20 foot pole. End off-topic rant.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.