Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Exterior Window Trim
Wilbour
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 14:50

Ok Guys,

I am almost at the stage of nailing wooden trim on the outside of my windows. I am thinking (because contemplating is too big a word) of 1x3 boxing the window. The top trim would extend a few inches either side but cut at a 45° angle facing down.

Any examples of your work? Pictures please. Although I appreciate the artistic flair, I am keeping it simple.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 15:38

Part of what is done to trim a window or door depends on what the rest of the wall surface is. Lap siding, stucco, etc. Makes a difference in the method.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 15:58

to participate in the contextualization process that mtndon has begun ... kidding.

here's what I did with my shou sugi ban. this is burnt cedar in the honourable japanese style. about as simple as it gets. cut the wood square. longer top and bottom.

note that the window itself is completely wrapped with that shiny sticky waterproof tape then those edges got a strip of red house wrap tape. You can also see I put a drip cap over the window behind the top layer. and that is also taped with red house tape.
chaletwest1.jpg
chaletwest1.jpg

PA_Bound
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 16:16

Wilbour... I did something similar to what you mention, with PT 1x4's. I wouldn't do this on my house, but it worked fine for my cabin (most of things I do on my cabin I wouldn't do on my house ). And please note- since this picture was taken, I painted the trim forest green to match the rest of the cabin trim.
Window framing
Window framing

Wilbour
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 19:37

That's pretty much what I was talking about. And my siding to boot!

Borrego
# Posted: 22 Oct 2015 20:41

Here's mine, I copied a basic Craftsman style that is common in Southern California. The top overhangs the sides about an inch and is cut at about 5 degrees, not too much as the Craftsman style was all about elegant subtlety.
003.jpg
003.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.