Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Interior finishes
. 1 . 2 . >>
toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Oct 2010 09:19

Anyone ever just keep the plywood, sand off the mfg stamp, remove all the stickers with the UPC bars and then clear coat? I have high quality plywood interior and was thinking of doing just that. I have toyed with knotty pine, rough sawn cedar and IO have a nice knotty looking finish now. Just clean it up and clear coat it? Any thoughts?
Woodstove corner as an example
Woodstove corner as an example

Kithera
# Posted: 11 Oct 2010 11:19

I never had as I just don't care for appearance. Something is unsettling to me about having just a large expanse of solid wood like that. I know, I'm mental. That said, I don't see why not.

My only thought is that the surface on cheap ply is pretty rough and still about $20 a sheet. By the time you get something really clean, you're either paying a fortune or sanding off a lot of wood at the cost of a lot of elbow grease. I would imagine paneling would both look nicer and be easier to work with for close to the same cost, if not cheaper.

Gary O
# Posted: 11 Oct 2010 19:56

Since it's already on, and to me has the appeal of a cabin, I'd consider a bold, rough trim after chemically removing, or lightly sanding off the stamps. I did this on an aging structure and ended up being quite proud of it.
Maybe a little R&D in an inconspicuous corner?

fooboo
# Posted: 11 Oct 2010 20:21

I agree with Gary O. The plywood walls can look really nice if you trim it out in a creative way and the trim pieces can be rough. You might go the route of using a wainscotting or only use batten boards and a trim piece along the top and bottom. Either way, you can create a very attractive wall using plywood.

I searched the internet on plywood paneling and found this picture. This is kinda what I was getting at. This picture doesn't show rough sawn wood for the trim, but it does highlight how trim can affect the overall appearance. Notice that this person used very wide trim pieces which disguise the plywood and I think your results will be better with wide trim pieces as opposed to narrow trim pieces.

URL

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Oct 2010 21:01

Good replies. I did use the quality plywood, ie nice side outward. I will remove the stamps probably a light sanding with a 1/4 sheet sander, should come right off. I have trimmed out the windows and doors using rough sawn cedar fencing (which I like the looks of a lot) but its pretty bright now. I'd like it to age and darken, but not wait naturally. If you have ever been into an old cabin, the wood is dark from the woodstove smoke, cooking etc. That and hanging items on the wall. I'm after early pioneer things, anything western, anything from early logging or goldmining too. Things to hang on the wall like an old rusted bear trap, tin pan, old crosscut saw, stuff like that. Horse tack etc.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 20:17

Oh, yeah. Decore.
I got a buck saw at a yard sale, and an ol' wall hanger side by side shot gun at a gun show ($40!!), and the exposed hammers are both intact! Both are hanging in my shop, but one day will be moved to the new cabin, along with myself and my bride........

I'd love to see the pix when you've trimmed it all out, t-tech.
You might experiment with a penetrating oil base stain on your trim selection for that darker look.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 20:22

....and why do the mills put those stamps on the sanded side anyway?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 20:57

Gary, I have some scraps of the wood I will experiment with before i commit. I dont want an oil base smell forever either. Right now, it smells like new wood, which is OK for a while. :D

Hey, a side by side shotgun for $40. You would be surprised at what that thing is worth. I bet its worth so much more than you could even imagine...

As for the stamp, maybe for inspectors, ie thickness, grade etc for shear strength would be my guess. Hope the ink isnt too deep. Hope its right on the surface. A few seconds with my sander and its gone.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 22:27

Yeah, oil base will give off an odor for a bit.
Some Murphy's oil appied a few times and a good cigar brings about an aroma pleasant to me.............

I'll send you pix of the side by side

Rob_O
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 18:53

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I have toyed with knotty pine, rough sawn cedar and IO have a nice knotty looking finish now. Just clean it up and clear coat it? Any thoughts?

That sounds like an excellent idea, I'll be using drywall inside my cabin but all the trim will be rough cut wood from the local mill. Unfortunately they don't split shakes

Gary O
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 22:01

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Hey, a side by side shotgun for $40. You would be surprised at what that thing is worth. I bet its worth so much more than you could even imagine...

I know, I know, off topic, but it is decore...
Pix of the ol' blunder bust.
N.R. Davis and sons is inscribed on the side
Some sites talk about house brand shotguns made in mass production, others are auctioning 'em beginning at $475.....
side_by_side_005.jpg
side_by_side_005.jpg
side_by_side_006.jpg
side_by_side_006.jpg
side_by_side_007.jpg
side_by_side_007.jpg
side_by_side_008.jpg
side_by_side_008.jpg

saltbranch
# Posted: 14 Oct 2010 22:25

On the sealed plywood walls....there is a small restaurant we go to that has this for the ceiling and walls,joints trimmed with cedar 1x2 or 1x3, windows with 1x4....looks good to me.Thats what I plan on for the interior of my cabin to be.

On the smell, use fresh coffee grounds either spread out on the floor or in cut panty hose tied in with knots on each end..i call them coffee bombs. The coffee trick is something I learned driving trucks, you'd be surprised at the stench of bull hides loaded in Florida and unloaded in Laredo, Tx. Were talkin the kind of smell that when you open the trailer door, its automatic toss the cookies time.I'd tie a handkerchief over my nose..anyways a quick rinse with water, spreadout 2 of the big cans of coffee, next day trailer was good to go, no smell but fresh coffee. Paparika will work too, but cost more.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Oct 2010 16:44

Quoting: Gary O
I know, I know, off topic, but it is decore...
Pix of the ol' blunder bust.
N.R. Davis and sons is inscribed on the side
Some sites talk about house brand shotguns made in mass production, others are auctioning 'em beginning at $475.....

Yes, did some search, apparently yours isnt worth much (300-500), but way more than you paid for it. Looks like it was made between 1885-1917. So it looks like its perfect for decore as you mentioned. That is the exact type of stuff I'd like to find to decorate the inside of mine, ie early hunter/trapper/pioneer, mining, logging or anything western.

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Oct 2010 17:57

I'm witcha, t-tech.
Looking for a good buy on old snow shoes to hang on the exterior now..........

cabingal3
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 14:53

Ole Gar...and whats pray tell is wrong with the plastic carnary yellow snow shoes we have now??they can hang on our cabin as well as some old ones! lol

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Nov 2010 21:01

Quoting: cabingal3
plastic carnary yellow

That'd be what's wrong with them...and the fact that they are 3 notches below worthless....darn near did a face plant in the snow tryin' to manuver in the %#@&! things.
Keeping all plastic (especially yellow plastic) 100 yds away from the perimeter of our land.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Nov 2010 21:34

Oh dear! I have to disagree about "plastic". We have black and red plastic MSR snowshoes. Great shoes! No maintenance other than to make sure the accessory tails are on secure when we use them. The foot pivots nicely and they are not too wide that one has to work at walking in them, just stride naturally. Turn around just like with cross country skis, on the tail. Ditto our skis, nice plastic waxless cross country skis. No messing around with assorted waxes and klister (Ug!)

I will admit to still having both our wonderful laminated Bonna's that we bought new in '76. But they are just beautiful to look at. Dealing with the various waxes as the days temperature goes up and then back down is a big hassle compared to the 2005 version skis.

bobrok
# Posted: 19 Nov 2010 21:52

Quoting: Gary O
Quoting: cabingal3
plastic carnary yellow
That'd be what's wrong with them...

Quoting Gary>quoting cabingal3
...ummm...I'm not trying to raise any suspicions or make unwanted comments here, but I have to ask: do you guys sit in separate rooms on separate computers and post comments to each other???
HA! I think its a hoot. You guys talk to each other on line more than some married couples talk to each other in real life. (This is good mind you...just a feeble attempt at cabin-humor here. Bear with me as you get to know me please!
Bob (lightening up the evening)

bobrok
# Posted: 19 Nov 2010 22:02 - Edited by: bobrok

Back to the subject at hand, however. I went to buy lauon from a local floor shop/installer and he had just gotten in a trailer load of the most beautifully grained mahogany veneered lauon he or I had ever seen (from Brazil I think), and he was selling these sheets for only $10.50 each (US).
Well as we were unloading the truck he cherry picked all the good stuff and set it aside for exactly the purpose described above. That was after he found out that I was actually going to use the lauon for floor sheething. He just couldn't bear to have the stuff nailed down and covered up. My loss.

fthurber
# Posted: 20 Nov 2010 19:35

Why bother with plywood when you can get real wood at the local sawmill and it is probably the same price (I will double heck that as I am going to be shopping for materials for my latest project). Also consider the off-gasing of formaldehyde; I am not ready to be pickled when I am still on this side of the grass.

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Nov 2010 00:27 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: bobrok
do you guys sit in separate rooms on separate computers and post comments to each other???

Not separate rooms.....
bobrok, you're a funny (and observant) guy.
Cabi works her sites. In the lazy boy right beside her is me.
I write, create framed-captioned pix, and cruise craig's list, then post here. However this site is a bit timid when it comes to my caustic humor, since some of my postings tend to evaporate. But I understand. It's a very friendly sight, and admin wants to keep it that way.

Quoting: SquidLips
Why bother with plywood when you can get real wood

Boy, if I were near a sawmill, that'd be the way to go.

Gary O
# Posted: 21 Nov 2010 00:41

Quoting: MtnDon
Oh dear! I have to disagree about "plastic".

Yeah Don, I bet they do work better than old technology. I just won't be hanging plastic on my cabin walls, and the ones we have are not the same quality as MSR. Ours are more like toys (craig's list miss spent money, in ignorance).........I'd just as soon make inadvertent snow angels all the way to the cabin, than try to maneuver in them.
Snow trippers
Snow trippers

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 13:35

Yes, those are ugly.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 17:33

Maybe work great for keeping the mice out of his cabin! :D

Just fun'n Gary O. :D

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 20:34

Quoting: MtnDon
Yes, those are ugly.

...and dysfunctional
even the experts can't use 'em
snow_trippers.JPG
snow_trippers.JPG
its_embarrassing.JP.jpg
its_embarrassing.JP.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 20:54

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 09:10

Ok, headed back over to the cabin. Made a few trips to Cabelas "cabin dept" and spent a boat load on all outlet and switch covers, neat drawer pulls, window valances, throw rugs, shower curtain (using it for a door into the bunkroom) and I have lots of neat pictures and some signage. This is the fgirst time the wife wil have seen it, after she gets an idea of the layout, she can find antiques etc to hang from the wall and other items to dress it up. Anyway, going to take pictures, will have them posted up by next weekend. Also taking out 2 bulldogs (English and a Frenchie, ie Gadget and Gizmo), I think they will have fun.

mrmiji
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 10:40

Hey I like the stamps. It gives it some character. Perhaps the mill closes one day and it's kind of like a historical record like the scratched initials on a hand thrown pot.

Malamute
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 11:57 - Edited by: Malamute

I like natural wood. It ages out nicely in a couple years. I never put any finish on interior wood other than floors, tho my current place had plain unfinished plywood floors. I like natural blue stain pine 1x6 T&G for interior dividing walls, and blue 1x8's for ceilings sometimes but just natural hand peeled logs for the main structure.

Have done some frame cabins with log siding, inside and out, it looks pretty good. Usually with pine 1x6 T&G ceilings.

Plain natural log walls,

Small frame cabin with log siding inside, with blue stain pine interior dividing wall, No3 pine T&G ceiling,

trollbridge
# Posted: 18 Aug 2011 12:14

Malamute...I love your cabin/home (lucky you). It could easily be featured in the many cabin books out there. I really like the color of your chinking also. Congrats on such a cozy place!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.