Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Book on plumbing and electrical
Keith G
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 14:10

Any recommendations on a basic, easy to understand book on these two topics. We are beginning construction on our cabin this summer. I can do all the carpentry, and would like to tackle as much of the electrical and plumbing as I can. The property has a mobile on it home that is being sold, so electric, water and septic are in place. I am building the cabin (400sf, 1 room) in the same location. Would like to do all the rough in of electrical and plumbing myself, so need a book. Most books I see are geared towards much more complex projects than this, so I was wondering if anyone has found a book better suited to these types of needs. Final hook up will be done by someone with the proper knowledge.

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 15:59 - Edited by: Jebediah

I used Black & Decker (Home Improvement Library)many years ago. Not sure if they are still available. Basic step by step procedures for wiring and plumbing and many other construction basics with pictures and diagrams. They also had advanced books.

Edit; I just used Google and they are available on Amazon.

old243
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 16:52

Keith, Speaking about the electrical, don't know where you are located, usually the supply company will have code books available, that you can follow. depending how your trailer was supplied, overhead ugnd etc , this will determine where your service entrance and panel will be located. You may also have to make sure , grounding is done properly, for safety. If you are having someone help you hook up, you might get advice from them as well. So you are both on the same page. If you have more questions just ask, I spent my whole working life in the electrical field. old243

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jan 2016 20:31

Taunton Press (Fine Woodworking) puts out a series of ring wire reference booklets called "Code Check", and the one they have on electrical is full of the nuts and bolts, facts and figures needed for electrical. But it isn't an instructional manual, it's a reference book on code requirements. I've seen several how-to books on residential wiring that show how to set up switch circuits etc. Don't get any book that includes commercial and don't try to use the NEC unless you know how to use it, you'll just get confused.

Residential electrical is relatively simple, but it's also really easy to set up a disaster. A floating neutral can make your television explode, and reversed polarity on a screw shell light fixture helps you electrocute yourself when you screw in a bulb (and happen to touch the metal screws on the bulb). . If you don't know what either of those things are, I suggest you study until you do, before wiring up your place.

Keith G
# Posted: 26 Jan 2016 11:46 - Edited by: Keith G

Thanks, guys! Old243, the wire is run underground from the pole to the mobile home. My wife's nephew is an electrician (albeit a fairly new one), and he has been out to look at everything. He says that the job will be super easy, and I hope that's the case. I plan on running all outlets/switches/lights myself, then having him come in and do the panel box. I will be assisting him since I really enjoy learning how to do stuff, and would like to be able to do any future work myself. Thanks for offering to answer any question, I just might send some your way. And we are in Texas, 15 acres quite a ways down a dirt road. The property has a pole placed about 1.5 acres deep into the property, county water and a well in place.

old243
# Posted: 27 Jan 2016 16:24

Keith one thing you might watch out for , is be really careful handling the ugnd cable. So as to not get a cut or nick in it. . As it will create a defect in the cable that will fail ( burn off) after a period of time. Especially if it is aluminum cable. I would assume that you are having the service disconnected or the meter pulled while you are doing the changeover. If you do have damage use the proper tapes to repair it. Hope this is useful. old243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.