Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / New Cabin Design
Rdkng07
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 20:12

Hi folks, been on here for awhile, don't really post. I have been fooling around with different design ideas for the cabin I would like to build. So far this is my favorite, a 20x24 with a side for guests. I like plumbing and electricity.

Lets see if I can post a picture.
cabin_front.JPG
cabin_front.JPG
cabin_rear.JPG
cabin_rear.JPG

rockies
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 20:32 - Edited by: rockies

Very nice. What sort of software are you using?

Rdkng07
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 20:38

Hi rockies, thanks, There is two full bathrooms. I haven't decided on the laundry yet. I am using SolidWorks for this, everything is the correct size for true layout.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 21:00

Just a thought, but would the plumbing be a bit easier, more efficient, and less costly if you had the upstairs bathroom over the kitchen so that the pipes would be on the same side of the cabin for that? The guest bathroom is on the ground floor so it isn't a big deal but if you could align that somehow, it might be helpful, too. If you're planning to use an on-demand water heater, the distance from it to the water appliances affects its operation somehow, though I can't remember the particulars.

That's a great-looking cabin! With 2 full bathrooms, maybe you could put a portable washer-dryer in one of them and that takes care of your laundry? The portables hook up to the faucet and I believe the dryer can be vented out a window.

Rdkng07
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 21:19

Hi Julie, thanks for the kind words! Yes, I originally designed the upstairs with the mechanical aspects on top of one another (upstairs bathroom over kitchen), but I decided I wanted the windowed shed dormer in the front, and am willing to put in the extra copper and PVC.

Thanks for the tip on the portable laundry appliances. I didn't know they existed and was going to hard plumb small stackable units in the guest bathroom if necessary,

Don_P
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 21:44

I looked at it from the aspect of our upstairs bedroom with clerestory windows. I like looking over my toes in bed, out the clerestory, at the ridge beyond. Flopping the bath and closet might help with upstairs john noise... over the main seating area now and it would shorten the plbg runs a bit.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 22:02

Rdkng07
I'll bump up the thread I started on portable washers/laundry. Creeky and I own Haier models and Gary and Cabi have a Panda. We all love them! I believe there's a Panda model that has an attached dryer.

You're well on your way! Exciting times!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.