Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Plumbing question
Snuffy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 11:58

When our slab was poured I told the contractor I was going to put in a shower base and drew the location on the sketch I gave him. He left me a 15" x 15" framed box out filled with gravel. How far down do I need to dig to properly install a trap? I still need to tunnel under the slab for a couple of feet to run a waste line out which will go to a buried soak away. Can't provide a photo right now as the cabin is 8.5 hrs away. Thanks!

bldginsp
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 13:34

Would have been best if you had plumbed before you poured, but let's deal with it as is.

The hole just needs to be deep enough for a 2" trap to fit. There is no minimum for the distance from shower to trap, but there is a maximum, I think it's like 18" but not sure. But- very important- you need to install a vent on the drain pipe so the trap won't siphon and empty itself. This can be within 8 feet of a 2" pipe, so if your shower is against the outside wall the vent can be installed on the drain pipe outside the slab. If the shower is more than 8 feet from the slab edge then it's harder. That's why they instal plumbing before the slab usually.

Vent pipe can be 1-1/2 pipe, should take off from the top of the drain pipe, and go above the roof.

Hope this helps

Snuffy
# Posted: 22 Feb 2016 18:08

Yes sir, that helps a lot! Thank you very much. The shower will be against the outside wall and the slab sits on compacted gravel so I don't expect too much difficulty. We'll see.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.