Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Septic routing
Asher
# Posted: 29 Feb 2016 23:36

How many steps are allowed in a waste water system? After we build the new cabin we are going to be about 10 higher in elevation then the trailer currently is... The 1000gal septic system is in good condition and we plan on using it. I am know that I will need to keep the proper pipe angle on the horizontal runs, but is there a certain amount of vertical steps allowed before there becomes a problem?

Littlecooner
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 11:10

Are we talking about the effluent disposal field ( field lines) or is this a question of connection the new cabin to the septic tank? The only steps one would put in is to connect one run of field lines to the adjacent field lines as each field line is perfectly flat. That pipe from cabin to septic tank has a minimum grade to make it drain. Really do not think there would be a maximum grade. ( Think, 2 story house, connection of upstairs bath is vertical).

1tentman
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 14:00

Asher
I dont think the 10 foot drop is that big of a concern from the cabin to the septic tank. Yes there is a minimum usually a 1/8to a 1/4 in. i install my using a half bubble on a level will get you real close.

With the use of PVC pipe solids and water flow better through it than the old steel pipe and clay tile. Some people say that the water can out flow the solid if it drops to fast, in a short distance I dont think this is a problem.If you are not comfortable with it you could step it down as you get closer to tank. Water and solids will fall at same rate straight down,unlike on a horizontal line when it is to flat the solids tend to drag on bottom of pipe and slow down.When you install the step downs dont use regular elbows , they make a fitting called a swooping elbow that has a bigger curve to it allowing the sewage to flow better.I put a addition on my house and have a bathroom at the east end and my sewer goes out the west end a fairly long distance away everything is working fine ,but some times I wonder if the solids are making it all the way so I give it a extra flush, dont know if its necessary but I feel more confident that it is staying open. Also install a clean out right next to the cabin just in case you need to run a rat down the pipe to the tank.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Mar 2016 15:12 - Edited by: bldginsp

I don't think the plumbing codes have a maximum slope requirement, but the old experienced plumbers say nothing between 1/2" per foot and 45 degrees. Plumbing engineers talk about it in terms of the velocity of water, at a certain speed (7-10 fps) the water goes faster than the solids, leaving them behind to potentially clog.

There is certainly no limit on the number of steps, but when I built my septic they told me that you want a minimum distance from house to septic tank, to minimize the possibility of clogs. But the line from the tank to the drain field can be any length or angle cause there are no solids. You can instal as many septic tanks as you want using the same drainfield, so it's best to put in a new tank with a new building if it's far from the existing tank. If your new building is 50 feet or less, probably ok, and run the line to it at 45 degrees or 1/4" per foot with all the steps needed to do so.

Clean outs are required every 100 ft or every 135 degrees of bend. Both these rules are so a snake can be gotten in there to clear a clog.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.