Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / sub floor
sparky30_06
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 14:44

Building a 10' x 20' hunting shack. the base is on concrete piers and up one to two feet in the air. Was planning on using 3/4" TG plywood and painting it before glueing and screwing it to the framework. Or would it be better to use pressure treated plywood. this will also be the floor in the cabin so didnt' really want to have treated wood in the living space. Wasn't planning on insulating the floor was just going to leave the joist bays open. it's on the edge of the hill country west of San Antonio.

bldginsp
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 18:33

Probably more important that the joists be PT than decking, and only if you are in a moist, humid climate. Don't know San Antonio. But if it's well up in the air and ventilates easily that's 90% of the game.

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Apr 2016 21:08

2nd on Bldginsp + just a note that you make sure the soil/gravel or whatever you have underneath provide a solid surface and slopes out from underneath so it stays dry.

Critter control might be the only other problem but someone more local to San Antonio would better be able to offer suggestions there. I don't think you'd want to get there for your weekend and fin local critter have taken over by chewing through the floor. Certainly wouldn't be a highlight for me.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 May 2016 00:45

Well ya know, those poor little armadillos gotta live somewhere.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 May 2016 09:16

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to run with it unpainted and see what happens. This is going to be the bathroom and kitchen area eventually as hopefully next year I'll build another section for a bunk house and learn from my mistakes on this one.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.