Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Choosing window size and window seat cushion
Steeny
# Posted: 4 May 2016 21:29 - Edited by: Steeny

My 10 x 12 writing shed has been slowly progressing since last summer. It is now at the point where I need to decide on window sizes.

I am shocked at how expensive windows are. I want ones that are "Low-E" so the building can be used comfortably year-round with minimal heating costs despite cold winters here in this part of BC, Canada.

I don't want to put windows in and later regret their location or size. For example, I want to be sure to have plenty of wall space for shelving, as there are a lot of books and things I need to store in there. But I also want to take best advantage of natural light.

So, my first question is how does one decide on window size and placement? Is there some kind of "rule" or guide or something?

My second question is in regard to a window seat. It has to be wide enough and comfortable enough for a good night's sleep, but it can't be an actual twin-size bed due to limited space I've got available on either side of the French doors that are in the center of the front wall. So... my other dilemma is where on earth do I find something to use as a comfortable mattress (and not some makeshift thing that is okay for seats as a motorhome bench or something) that is not the typical sizes that mattress shops sell?

Hopefully this made sense. If not, do ask for clarification.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 May 2016 22:00 - Edited by: bldginsp

Window size and placement is largely arbitrary. Build a sun room that is all windows if you want. But here's a few limitations-

The building code prescribes a minimum window size for the sake of adequate light and ventilation. The window needs to be at least 8% of the floor area of the room.

The code also prescribes the size of window openings in bedrooms for egress- the ability to climb out in a fire. Irrelevant in rooms with a door outside.

Your walls have to have enough solid wall area to provide structural strength for the basic building. Too many windows and there is no lateral strength, unless you get it elsewhere.

If your building must meet energy requirements windows become a big issue.

So for a one room writing shed you can do what you want so long as there is enough wall to hold up the roof. With too much window area you won't be able to heat it easily in winter.

For the mattress have you considered custom cut foam?

Steeny
# Posted: 5 May 2016 12:27

Thank you. That is what I was thinking, that there was some concern about the amount of space taken up by window(s) possibly negatively affecting the strength of the walls to keep everything supported.

So, I still need to figure out my window sizes and placement, according to my own tastes. Darn. I was hoping there was some kind of formula.

Custom cut foam? Will look into that. I'm in a small community but possibly in one of the bigger towns a few hours away has such a thing.

rockies
# Posted: 5 May 2016 19:34

One thing not often considered is whether you want to use the window for view or for light. You'll probably want at least one window at desk height facing south so you can look out at the scenery while you work. You can have a second window in the door to provide cross lighting. The south window should be either a casement or an awning that swings out. These catch cross-breezes very nicely and are much more energy efficient when closed because there is usually a latch lever to pull the window tight to the frame when shut.

The door should be an outswing to save on interior space and to provide extra security. Outswing doors can't be kicked in and wind pressure also pushes against the door when closed and helps seal it to the frame.

Other locations for windows can be clerestory fixed windows up near the ceiling on the north side of the shed (maybe 18" H x 24-30" W). These will let in a surprising amount of light without adding a lot of heat like a south or west facing window would. They could go above a wall of bookcases.

As to the bed, perhaps you could build a narrow bench (maybe 18-21 inches deep by 6'6" to 7' long and 18" high with storage underneath) for sitting on during the day and then have a regular sized single mattress on a plywood support fold down from the wall over top of the bench whenever you need it. Sort of like a DIY Murphy bed design.

WilliamGhent
# Posted: 13 May 2016 06:41 - Edited by: WilliamGhent

Nice to read such ideas. Thank you for sharing post.

Steeny
# Posted: 13 May 2016 18:50

"The door should be an outswing to save on interior space and to provide extra security. Outswing doors can't be kicked in and wind pressure also pushes against the door when closed and helps seal it to the frame."

Yeah. I am wishing I would have known. We got a inside-swing set of French doors. We actually installed them for exterior swing at first, but it looked like there were screws that could be tampered with on the frames around the glass, if I remember correctly, so we pulled the doors out and put them in as interior swing. Sadly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.