Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Storage Solutions
MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 17:14 - Edited by: MikeOnBike

I posted this in cabingal3's moving thread but I also started thinking about other storage ideas and didn't want to hijack her thread.

Very few of our projects are spacious and most comment on the inherent lack of storage in our cabins. Collectively I think we can create a great list of ideas.

If you frame your interior walls with 2x6 studs instead of 2x4s you can create 5 1/2" deep shelves between the studs. This will create a lot of storage space for smaller items. This can serve as a bookcase, shallow pantry, niknak shelf, medicine cabinet, hang a small apothecary cabinet, etc.

You can leave the shelves open, put a door on them or a fold down panel like the builtin ironing boards.

Ex.
http://www.ronhazelton.com/article/storage/shelves/UDI0Mw/How_to_Create_Recessed_Shel ving_in_a_Wall_

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 17:26

Another great place to store things is under your bed. This can be with cardboard or plastic boxes designed to fit under a standard frame or even better use a platform frame with built in drawers.
256btqf1.jpg
256btqf1.jpg

Rob_O
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 17:55

If you are the "WhenSHTF" type survivalist you can also hide canned good and properly packaged dry foods in the walls as well. Build that fold-down ironing board with a false back held in by magnets. Use hidden hinges to make your medicine cabinet not only open normally, but lift up as well. A wall covered in T&G boards can be held together with 1by strips on the back and that whole wall can be hinged. Another option is boxing in the joists under the loft with a door hidden under a rug in the loft floor.

RVs and boats are great places to look for inspiration. Other ideas I have seen are...

Built-in benches with a seat bottom that lifts off to access the space underneath or benches with doors and drawers underneath.

The famous Murphy bed, with the addition of a fold down dining table on the bottom of the mattress

Vault the ceiling, install ropes and pulleys to hang stuff

The possibilities are endless

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 18:23

Quoting: Rob_O
Another option is boxing in the joists under the loft with a door hidden under a rug in the loft floor.

A variation on this is cabins with the ceiling joist open where you can put dropdown trays in the ceiling.

islandguy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 20:23

We opted to build an attic for storage, with our 16x24 cabin divided into two areas; the bathroom and bedroom, (5x7 and 8x10) having eight foot ceilings, and the 16x16 living room, kitchen with a 12 foot high cathedral ceiling. This allows an area 8x16x 4 foot high as attic space, with a trap door for access. We are also planning a 6x6 shed next year.

hattie
# Posted: 18 Nov 2010 21:13 - Edited by: hattie

My hubby is the king of storage solutions. *grin* He can find a space for everything. He always says you have to think vertical because there is a lot of wasted space up there. We have put a narrow shelf (about 19" below the ceiling) all around our living room to store oil lamps and photos. We built a cold room under our greenhouse and it is lined to the ceiling with shelves. We have the drop down ironing board and it doubles as a counter when I am working in the laundry room storing things in our pantry. He also built a lift up drying rack for our clothes to dry them inside. We try to keep about 4 months' worth of food on hand (just in case).
Drying rack down
Drying rack down
Drying rack up
Drying rack up
Cold Room storage
Cold Room storage
Sometimes the road is blocked
Sometimes the road is blocked

fasenuff
# Posted: 19 Nov 2010 10:37

I have almost 4' under one end of my cabin that I am building storage under. I have my chain saws and shovels under there along with my generator and batteries. I also store extrta propane tanks under there. I made a hidden place in my floor joists with access from underneath for valuables for when I am gone.

Once I get the inside walls done I will do a lot of built in cabnets for everyrthing from books to desk. I pick up a lot of ideas from looking at the tiny houses and the Tumble Weed houses. Some really good ideas there for conserving space.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.