Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Plumbing snafu
<< . 1 . 2 .
Bret
# Posted: 12 May 2016 09:25 - Edited by: Bret

I have a 1996 toyota T100 that just turned 200,000 miles. What a great vehicle!

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 May 2016 12:54

Julie- I think choosing a Toyota truck is more about condition and price than which specific year or model. I always have a mechanic do a thorough check of any used vehicle I'm looking at. Worth the money. Another thing you can do is take oil samples from the engine and transmission and send them off for spectrographic analysis. Seriously, there are services that do this and it isn't expensive. The analysis can show if the engine or trans has serious problems.

You said you want a plow truck- for that I'd consider a larger truck than the Toyotas, like a Ford or GM full sized 4wd. Larger heavier trucks are best for snow clearing. Diesel engines are probably best for snow plowing because they have the low end torque, but they are pricey and I've heard from people with gas trucks with plows who are quite satisfied. 4WD is essential for plowing both for traction and for the low range.

I don't know how much snow you plan to push, but if it's just a 50 foot driveway with light snow a small Toyota truck with plow will do fine. I have 1/2 mile of gravel road with occasional heavy snow.

In any event 4WD with chains is essential.

Of course, you could get a Farmall Cub tractor with a snow blade for $1500 or so and use that, so you don't have that clunky blade on your truck all summer long.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 12 May 2016 16:02

Well, I've seen some Toyota trucks in good condition with 180K-200K miles on them for a couple grand but they're 1988-1990 models. I don't know if that's too old. As in, would parts be a problem? Things like that. Or should I just spend a bit more and get, say, a 2004-05 Chevy Silverado?

Ideally, the truck will be my winter vehicle so I don't have to be messing around changing tires out and such. Keep the studs and plow blade on the truck for winter driving and the all-season radials on my 4wd Saabaru. After the first year, anyway. I'll be needing the truck a LOT initially for taking big purchases to the cabin.

Not sure what the driveway situation will be, bldginsp. I'm considering a couple of properties that are very different, in that respect. I'm not sure I could drive a really big vehicle, though. Having a separate tractor with a blade might be just the thing if I go with one of the places that has a LONG driveway.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 May 2016 18:09

2006 Taco with 400,000+ miles

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 12 May 2016 18:24

Quoting: MtnDon
2006 Taco with 400,000+ miles

Holy Pete!

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 May 2016 18:58

Volvo may have everyone beat tho'

and the volvo high mile club

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 13 May 2016 17:17

Well, that point's moot since Volvo doesn't offer pickups. They did tractor-trailer engines, though, as Saab did airplane engines, which is why they were amazing cars. I love my Saab-aru, long may she last. She's 12 years old now and I'll keep her as long as I can.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.