Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Air Conditioner or maybe a heat pump
sparky30_06
# Posted: 6 Jul 2016 13:26 - Edited by: sparky30_06

Ok need some ideas for my 200 sq. ft. hunting shack. Now I'm not off grid but don't have unlimited power. I have a power pole about 100 ft. from the shack and plan on getting a small load center, probably 60amp to cover the shack. I don't want a window unit due to security issues and bugs/mice getting in through the holes. Thought about a wall mount like you would have in a motel but trying to find a good place to put it poses a challenge. Thought maybe a mini split ductless but not sure I'm ready to drop $1000 on one. Maybe a large portable unit?? In the summers I need the cooling when it's 100+, now in the winters well we will get frost now and then but then its 50 to 60 usually during the day.
maincamp.jpg
maincamp.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Jul 2016 13:44

If you go for a portable the ones with twin hoses are better. Single hose models send already cooled inside air outside when exhausting the heat. Twin hoses use one hose to draw outside air in and exhaust through the other.

Split mini are much more energy efficient. Portables and window units are at the low end of efficiency. Those through the wall models are expensive.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 08:15

I'd love to get a mini split but that money just isn't in the budget right now. Might just have to wait till next year on the A/C. Would like to figure out what unit so I can rough in the lines and electric before I close up the ceiling and walls

Eddy G
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 10:25 - Edited by: Eddy G

You may want to go with a 100 amp service. Price of install wouldn't be much if any different then a 60 amp service.

You would be better served with a 208/220 volt heat pump than a 110v unit.

Google "Amana through the wall style heat pumps"

You'll even find them on Amazon.

Friedrich makes a decent unit as well.

They are the through the wall style HVAC unit you would commonly find in hotel and motels ....

Some are heat pumps w/electric heat and some are just a/c with electric heat.

For your size cabin a smaller heat pump unit would run less then $500 (closer to 4).
The Amana units are ratted pretty highly.

We have a large Amana heat pump in our cabin.
I look at it this way. It's quick and convenient heat, even if its just while the wood stove's being fired up. It provides heating and the few times we may want or need cooling at good value.
Our unit is 1200 BTU of cooling and 9000 BTU heating (if I remember right) and I think it cost $600 total with the sleeve.
A good quality 1200 BTU cooling only is close to $500 so why not have both in one unit?

Instillation was easy enough. The cabin walls are exposed right now so I just cut out a hole and framed it in. Ran an outlet and done. Pretty simple.

Oh, and here is another reason I went with the though the wall style unit vs the mini split.
Serviceability.
If something happens to the mini split I'm forced to work on it there at the cabin ....With the through the wall unit. I can slide it out, put it in the truck and fix it at home if need be or bring it somewhere else for repair.
We have a ductless split at our full time home and its been great but I know from experience (a lot of it) that wouldn't want to work on it at the cabin....

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 13:13

Have you determined what the utility is going to charge you to hook up? Sometimes they are outrageously high...

sparky30_06
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 14:39

there is a small drop already there that comes from the meter at the well house. I think it's a 100 amp drop. I just don't want the cost of the #2 wire lol

NBNK
# Posted: 7 Jul 2016 14:57

We have a 100 amp service, 280 sq feet. Tried the portable, but even with one sized for 400 sq feet never got below 85 on a 100 degree day. Put a window unit in, but sealed it around the edges and put a winter cover over it when not there. During the winter we covered vent areas with foil tape. It's been in place for 3 years , no mice, just 5 - 10 dead flies after 2-3 weeks when we return. It pulls about 12 amps running through a standard 15 amp breaker. Air is around 60 on high, takes about 3 hours to bring room temps to the high 70's from the 90's when we arrive.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.