Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Well pump question
low277
# Posted: 24 Jul 2016 21:05

I recently closed on a piece of property. It has a well that used to have a deep convertible jet pump in a well house. The pump and pressure tank are missing. I was thinking of using a submersible pump and running the discharge line up through the well cap and putting a new pressure tank in the well house. My question is " How do I support the weight of the pump ?" Do I attach a cable to it and fasten it to a overhead support?

Thanks

sparky30_06
# Posted: 24 Jul 2016 22:51

most submersible pumps hang off the pipe and attach to the sanitary cap. you could also use a cable and fasten it to an overhead support. how deep is the water line??

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 00:05

Many submersibles hang off a pitless adapter, which allows the pipe to pass through the casing below ground to avoid freezing. If your pipe goes through the cap, it can freeze up on cold weather. Same with the pressure tank. If you are in an area that freezes, I suggest you consider a different design.

low277
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 06:25

The well casing does not have a pitless adapter, there is a well house over the well head, the pump house is about 4ft wide by 6 ft long and about 4ft tall on the inside, it has a lift off cover. I live in NW Minnesota so it does freeze but there is a electric heater in the well house.

These well houses used to be very common here with jet pumps. Although over the years many have been switched to submersibles with pitless adapters.

I would like to get water right away but may not build until next year. The well house gives me that option.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 08:40

Check out this page:

http://www.deanbennett.com/well-seals-n-well-caps.htm

sparky30_06
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 09:49

I'm glad I'm no longer in the frozen north and don't have to worry burying water lines 4'+ in the ground. But I do miss the trees changing color and the season. But it is nice drinking a beer in shorts on the front deck on Christmas day lol

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Jul 2016 15:59

Hawaiian shirts in January (sometimes). It ain't just California dreamin'.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.