Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Roof Options Advice
Cabinmonkey
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 09:29 - Edited by: Cabinmonkey

Here's where I'm at:

The floor and walls are framed up and I'm ready to start on the roof framing.

The current plan is a gabled roof, 2x6 rafters (16"OC) 2x8 ridge board, 2x6 ceiling joists (16"OC), 5/12 pitch, 1' overhang on sides and 16" overhang on ends. OSB sheathing, felt and shingles, with a ridge vent.

I live in South Georgia, so there is no snow load to consider. The cabin will not be lived in, it is going to be a cook house for family get-togethers. I am using lumber cut with a portable band sawmill. Framing is SYP, exterior walls will be 1" poplar board and batten, interior walls and ceiling 3/4" poplar.

I don't plan to use any wrap or insulation. Cooling will be a portable floor A/C, and heat will be a portable electric heater.

The question I have is...Is this the best roofing option? I definitely want to go with shingles, because I have enough to do half of the cabin right now. But, is the gabled roof the best construction method? And, should I do 16" or 24" OC rafters?

What about a slant roof? Is this a good option?

This is the first thing I've ever built larger than a dog house, so please feel free to offer your opinions and advice because my carpentry experience is very limited. Just keep in mind (looking at the pic) that what's done is done, now where do I go from here.

Just
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 10:34

How Big? how long are the rafters and beams ? what are you using for sheeting on the roof?

sparky30_06
# Posted: 28 Aug 2016 22:30

I've never been a fan of 24" OC roof rafters. Avoid a flat roof! I would go with at least a 2-12 pitch. I'm a fan of metal roofs. Nothing like the sound of rain on an old tin roof.

Cabinmonkey
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 09:02

Cabinmonkey

rockies
# Posted: 3 Feb 2018 18:40

You say a cook house. Are you cooking with a wood fired stove? Where will the chimney come out through the roof?

I always find that 2x6 rafters are under-sized, snow or no snow load. You'll still have to walk around up there sometimes and a 2x6 is really only 5 1/2" of wood. Definitely don't go to 24" on center.

You might consider designing it like a pool cabana, with a large door on the long side and then have flip up windows above an eating counter (seating inside and outside).

A shed roof is definitely easier to frame (no ridge beam) but if the slope goes below 3:12 you should switch to a metal standing seam roof.
Cabana
Cabana

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.