Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pex Pipe
krstrout1
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 10:45

Building a cabin in upstate NY, I am going to plumb my cabin with pex pipe and copper fittings due to the extreme weather, my question is what type of connectors are best, crimp or compression.

Ken.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 12:11

I did my cabin all with crimp and I'm by Swain, NY on top of a mountain.
Crimps will be cheaper. It important to check your crimps with gauge and get a decent tool to make the crimps. It's not hard.

My cabin is only used on weekends so it goes into deep freeze. I'm thinking yours will be doing that too.
It's important to design your system with a purge to drain your water lines. I put in a connection to blow them out with a small air compressor. Zero issues but I also designed for access if there were. You can freeze Pex and it will expand. The fittings will not.

Next issue is your traps. I use a rubber trap so they could freeze. I also use an RV toilet so it didn't hold water.

You will get some brutal weather there at times. Great area for cross-country skiing if you are into that. Upstate winter isn't that bad if you know how to tame it.

bobrok
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 19:38

What is your water source/storage? If you have low input pressure, as in tank storage and an rv pump or something of this nature, then +1 to hueyjazz comments.
I used a combination of crimp and shark bite fittings; crimp for the permanent parts and shark bite for those that needed to be undone during freeze/close up season.
I have next to zero plumbing experience and I didn't have one single leak on my install.
If you have higher pressure than a few psi or gpm then I will defer to others who have that experience.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 20:29

Pex is the shizzle IMHO. I have the crimp ring set up. Crimper looks like large bolt cutters, has the go/no go gauge too. Comes in blue or red for easy ID or all white. IMHO, pex is the ultimate. Easy to plumb, meth users wont steal it, expands during freezing, cheaper...

This is the crimper I have, does 1/2 and 3/4", all you need for a cabin/home.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-and-3-4-in-Dual-PEX-Copper-Crimp-Ring-Too l-23251/202270489

Asher
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 07:21

I had a plumber talk me out of PEX and instead go with CPVC. He said that's all they use in smaller new homes these days. He said there is nothing wrong with PEX, but if cost is a consideration then CPVC will win after you figure in the cost of fittings over the entire system...

He did recommend using the brass hybrid type fittings for the hard plumbing connections...

But I second those "shark bite" fittings, they are awesome just make sure your cuts are square...

old243
# Posted: 3 Sep 2016 09:09

Could there be a problem with mice and critters , chewing the pex pipe. This would occur where the pipe passes through a wall or floor, if the pipe hole is almost large enough for them to get through. Is there a way to protect against this? I have never installed pex, looks like a fine product. Just throwing out a question. old243

Atlincabin
# Posted: 3 Sep 2016 11:20

Old,

What I've done is drill a hole in a small piece of plywood that is the exact diameter of the pex (or whatever) and, if you are smarter than me, put it on before install then screw to the wall/floor. If you're me, you split the piece of wood in half across the hole and screw two pieces on either side of the pipe. If a wood patch doesn't suit your fancy, an alternative is a piece of hardware cloth (1/4-inch mesh) with a hole in it will keep most anything out. Cut the hole and then a slot from one edge of the mesh into the center and you can slip the mesh onto the pipe and staple in place. Only takes a very small piece to keep critters out. Could probably do the same thing with a small piece of aluminum or thin steel flashing.

Thelar
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 15:39

I used Pex with the shark bite compression connectors. The compression connections are more expensive, but so easy to use. I have had it in place for 4 years with no issues. My cabin is in central Maine and is seasonal. I drain the water system, and use RV antifreeze in the drains.

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Sep 2016 15:58

Love PEX ! It is the Cat's Meow !
Lesson Learned dept:
Always use a proper pex cutter tool for the perfectly clean and straight cut.... even the slightest off and could leak if using the Shark-bite type push on fittings. A $10 tool that is worth it's weight in gold. Have not seen any mouse activity near the pipes.

krstrout1
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 08:02

Thanks to everyone who replied to the pex pipe question. I am new to the site and to the off grid cabin adventure. I just spent four days in NY at the cabin doing my 12v and 110 volt inside wiring, insulated the whole cabin with R 19 insulation and final caulking of all joints. I just can not wait till Oct to go back.

Thank you all.

Ken.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.