Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ready to panel the wall but the floor isn't level
Steeny
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 21:25

We got the back wall and ceiling of my single-slope roofed shed covered nicely in horizontally placed tongue and groove knotty pine. We were all set to start the other walls - going around the room so each board would match up with its neighbour on each corner - when we discovered that the floor is not level for doing those side walls. The windows, however, were installed level.

So, if we start those side walls according to perfectly level, we will have to shim one end of the board to pick it up to level - right? But no, we can't, coz then the ends of the boards that butt up to the corner that meets the already paneled back wall will not match up to the boards on that wall. But I don't want the paneling to end up not looking level all around the window frames.

What do we do to solve this problem?

I thought we could just install the boards below the window in a vertical fashion, do a strip of trim, and then do the ones at window sill level and above horizontally. Maybe? Will that work? I would rather keep the whole room with horizontal boards, though, as I like that look.

Steeny
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 21:27

Thinking out loud... could we lift up the bottom board on the front wall to somehow match that back wall and make the side walls happy?

Just
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 23:02

unless its realy bad you will be the only one who sees the mistakes . knowone said you have to be a master carpenter to build a cabin.
enjoy your cabin...

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 05:41

If you are starting from the bottoms up I would find my level on the second row and draw a pencil line where it meets with the corner. Then take your starter row and scribe that piece along the floor line and cut it to fit.

Littlecooner
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 08:34

skootamattaschmidty had the same idea as I have, I would trim that bottom board on the bottom to fit so that all above is level and matches. Like all projects, you know where the faults are located, but no one else will see them. My joke is always that if some guest says something about the unlevel bottom board, make sure he is not invited back to visit. Nothing is perfect in life, I bet I could eventually find something that does not look correct in one of those mega million mansions we see for sale on the TV. If it really looks bad, sound like you just found the new correct site for that large piece of furniture to hid you cabin. besides, it is a cabin, not a million dollar starter castle.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 4 Sep 2016 09:13

easy fix, get a laser level that will project a horizontal line on two walls. Mark the corners at the same height all around the room. measure down to find your high point and start from there. then use base board to cover the bottom gap.

Borrego
# Posted: 4 Sep 2016 12:04

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
Then take your starter row and scribe that piece along the floor line and cut it to fit.

This is what I would do. You want to keep your levels around the room.....baseboard will cover any imperfection s at the floor line...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.