Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood Stove suggestions
benny8
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 09:27

Hey all, We will be building our 16x28 cabin next spring. It will be well insulated, floor walls and ceiling. We have a ton of ash trees that we are selling off for timber and will have a ton of firewood. Looking for a suggestion on woodstove to heat our cabin. My wife would like one you can see the fire, I guess for the romantic nights while we are alone. LOL. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Aaron

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 10:43

look on craigslist. But if you want new, a Quadrafire 3100 millennium flat top. I have this one in my home and love it. I added the blower kit. Do have a ceiling fan in the room where the woodstove is, circulates the warm air and even keeps place warm vs real hot around stove, cooler as you move away from it.

bldginsp
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 11:03

Morso Squirrel. Very well designed, glass door.

benny8
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 12:50

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Do have a ceiling fan in the room where the woodstove is, circulates the warm air and even keeps place warm vs real hot around stove, cooler as you move away from it.

Toy tech we are designing the cabin right now and looks like a ceiling fan will be in the design. Thanks.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 13:37

I read somewhere (maybe here) that the EPA has gotten more involve with woodstoves as to having a list of approved stoves.
There's a lot of good stoves out there with some lemons scattered in. Airtight is the only way to go in my opinion.

Ceiling fan is an excellent idea not just for the wood stove but for year round too. Along with that I really like the blower unit that's integrated into the back of mine with a heat exchanger. Ash bin is also a nice feature.

If you have a loft in your design you should be surprised if the heat is much greater there. Even in the winter I have the window open there and sometimes run a small fan.

I had a mason install a rock wall behind my stove from river rock from my stream. Nice heat sink and pleasing to look at on those romantic evenings. Get a stove with a window.

gsreimers
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 20:36

I have a quadrafire 3100 step top. It produces a lot of heat and if clearances are an issue this one is great. It channels the heat forward in to the room and placed in a corner with only 4" from the back corners of the stove to the wall it doesn't heat up the wall.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 21:54 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The Quadrafire is EPA approved and when I got mine, was the cleanest and had the longest burn times with a load of wood.

As gsreimers mentions, its fully shielded and you can put your hand on the back or sides and its only pee warm to the hands, so it can tuck up close to a wall. They have a glass window so fire is visible and the logs load in end wise, not sideways. Sideways, wood can roll out and hot lot rolls up against glass, it can shatter, dangerous if you are gone.

I am biased on Quadrafires too, the factory is about 35 miles from my cabin, (Homegrown product) I know personally one of the engineers that worked for them (retired) and he is a ham radio operator and we chat on the radio all the time.

It is one of the finer stoves made, its top tier if you research them too. Avalon is another top tier one. Also made in Washington. :D

itsals1
# Posted: 8 Sep 2016 22:23

I'd recommend Jotul family owned since 1853!
We have 1 at our home and 1at our cabin. We use ceiling ceiling fans when needed. I'm not a fan of blowers on wood stoves, just me.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

benny8
# Posted: 9 Sep 2016 03:22

Appreciate all the information. We will be placing a stove in a corner with a brick wall backing. What are everyone's thoughts on the fans that sit on top of the woodstove and helps circulate the heat without electricity?

brooksm29
# Posted: 9 Sep 2016 03:44

With a cabin that size I would go with a Jotul. They have glass doors and a screen as an assessory.

Bret
# Posted: 9 Sep 2016 12:15

Is that a Jotul F 3 CB? How do you like it?

itsals1
# Posted: 10 Sep 2016 18:10

Bret
We love our Jotul F 3 CB!
We have a Oslo at our home and this is basically a smaller version of it, but has a few differant features. The F 3 CB is front load only and does not have fire brick, but it does have a ash pan which my wife demanded. It also has a double draft, the standard one and one built into the door for easier starts. One thing to keep in mind they say 18" wood ! but 14"-16" small splits work the best.
So you need to cut/split your wood smaller. Our cabin is 480sq feet and it is a wonderful addition compared to the old smoke dragon that the previous owner had. They are not cheap to buy, but a good envestment for long therm. Morso is a excellent stove as well. I really wanted one myself, but my wife did not care for them as much as I did. In the end our Jotuls are excellent stoves. I would like to upgrade our Oslo with a soapstone heater though, time will tell.
Travis

mossberg fan
# Posted: 10 Sep 2016 18:56

are you talking about the thermoelectric fans that run on heat? they are great. they turn on when the stove top reaches a certain temp. great way to visually know when your stove is up to temp without walking over to check. when the fan speed slows or stops, time to throw a log on. the company that makes them is Caframo, i believe

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 10 Sep 2016 23:39 - Edited by: Mtnviewer

Blaze King Princess model for your space!!!!

Out of interest I looked at the well regarded Quadrafire but was Gobsmacked to see on it's website that the stoves had wood sitting at the same level as the door. That's okay for a lightly used stove I guess but with my Blaze King that has logs sitting 6-8 inches below the level of the stove, no ash, coals or logs fall or roll out. Filling is easy & clean. I have a door level wood stove in another cabin & it is a ROYAL PITA, especially used over time as the ash builds up. With the Blaze King, I clean ash out 1-2 times per winter of continuous 24 hour per day use. I put in 3 - 6-8"x16" rounds or splits of whatever dry wood I have, once or twice a day, except in the coldest winter weather, -25-35C, when I might put in 3 loads per 24 hours. The catalytic burner lasts 4-6 years & really provides extra heat & much cleaner burning, super clean chimney, & no hassles with EPA ratings, unless you use the stove incorrectly or maybe use wet wood. So long burn times, longer than the Quadrafire & in cold cold Canadian mountain climate. You can get fans, but hey, I'm off grid & have never had a need for one.

Don't underestimate the safety & cleanliness of where the wood sits if you use the stove day in & day out & it fills up with ash. A deep firebox is worth it's weight in GOLD, if not wood. And I NEVER have to get up in the night to add wood.

Bret
# Posted: 10 Sep 2016 23:59

Travis, thanks for the info on the Jotul. I'll make sure to keep the splits at the smaller length.

Steve_S
# Posted: 11 Sep 2016 10:12 - Edited by: Steve_S

@Benny, there are many great stoves, good stoves & junk stoves, fortunately experienced folks here have already pointed out the Good ones. BTW: I have a Jotul 3-TD. ;) I found it on Kijiji (like craigslist) and lucked out & got it for less than 1/2 price.

Saving Money ! The all important issue for all of us. The best time to buy a wood stove is "Off Season" where you can save as much as 50% and I am NOT kidding but you have to shop it. There are somethings that I won' buy online and have delivered and this is one of those types of things. Right now in our area the are many sales and I am seeing stoves which are 1200 reg, on sale for 599. Fall is also when the new series' get released and so old stock has to go & cheap.... New Old Stock is still certified & installable. Late Spring, early summer everyone wants them out of the stores / warehouses so sales to move them.

Also things to consider with the stoves which I am surprised no one mentioned... Brick Lined or Unlined.... I'm not sure where the EPA is on that and what the rules are now but if they are still allowed and your considering unlined one, operation, maintenance etc is a bit different... not difficult but just be aware they have their own quirks. Something to consider if you have children / pets.

mossberg fan
# Posted: 12 Sep 2016 07:42

home depot sells the Englander brand, model no. NC-30, great EPA rated stove, regularly around a thousand dollars, bought it in the off season (april) for $549 off the website, delivered to my door for $99. great stove, American made, lots and lots of great reviews. Remember, without dry wood, most woodstoves will have problems, be less efficient

SE Ohio
# Posted: 12 Sep 2016 08:00

A design consideration: If the wood stove is in the sleeping area, a fireplace "window" can let out a LOT of light, like sleeping with several night lights even after fire is down to embers. If you like a dark sleeping area, you might factor this into your design.

bldginsp
# Posted: 12 Sep 2016 08:55

Quoting: benny8
We will be placing a stove in a corner with a brick wall backing

Perhaps you are already aware- but for those not-

Many building departments will allow you to reduce clearances to the walls if you put in a vented brick surround behind the stove. By 'vented' I mean that the brick is set out from the wall one inch, and air holes are placed on the bottom row of bricks against the wall. This allows air to circulate behind the brick.

Where I am they will allow a 2/3 reduction in clearances if you do this. Clearance on my stove is 15", so I could reduce clearance to 5", but for the fact that the instructions say if you use clearance reduction techniques, in no case reduce clearances less than 8".

In a small cabin, tucking that woodstove in against the wall as far as is safe is an important space saver.

DaveBell
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 11:08

Anyone using or have recommendations for wood stove makes and models that have attached outside air kit?
Thanks.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 11:28 - Edited by: littlesalmon4

Blaze King princess has a knock out for outside air.
Plus it is an awesome stove.
There are a few things in life that just don't pay to go cheap.
Your woodstove is one of those things.

DaveBell
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 13:22

Blaze King appears to be West Coast only, can't find them in the east coast area.

DaveBell
# Posted: 3 Nov 2016 16:21

I found finally found a dealer who knew. England's Stove Works Englander 13-NC, and the Jotul stoves.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.